Lots of Cameras, suggestions for viewing?

FireRaider

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 15+ cameras that I monitor with Blue Iris. That's a lot for a single 40" screen. I have built 3 groups but really don't want to manually cycle through them and don't see an option to make the groups auto cycle.

What do people do so they can view more cameras with a decent picture? I can add another monitor (I have a decent video card) but is there going to be a way to view different cameras on different screens?

Or is the only option going to be to purchase another computer, monitor, and license?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 15+ cameras that I monitor with Blue Iris. That's a lot for a single 40" screen. I have built 3 groups but really don't want to manually cycle through them and don't see an option to make the groups auto cycle.

What do people do so they can view more cameras with a decent picture? I can add another monitor (I have a decent video card) but is there going to be a way to view different cameras on different screens?

Or is the only option going to be to purchase another computer, monitor, and license?
Consider using @bp2008 's UI3 pages found ==>> here.

Open up a browser window using 1 user/group on first monitor/ video card and on other video card with monitor set for 'extend display' open up another browser window for second user/group.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is your 40" screen at 4K resolution? 4K absolutely blows away 1080p for many-camera viewing at close distance. If you need the video to be clearer from further away though, then yeah you can add another monitor and move some of the cameras to it. Just right click on a camera in Blue Iris's local console and choose Open in desktop frame. You can move and resize these desktop frames, and you can drag cameras between frames. You could even have each camera in its own frame so your layout is totally custom. There's also a button to move an entire camera group into its own desktop frame, just below the live cameras area, below the dropdown box containing your group names.

Be aware that CPU usage does go up significantly when you have Blue Iris rendering more pixels. So multiple monitors and/or 4K resolution may require you to cut back the live preview frame rates to keep CPU usage under control.

FireRaider

n3wb
Reaction score
Is your 40" screen at 4K resolution? 4K absolutely blows away 1080p for many-camera viewing at close distance. If you need the video to be clearer from further away though, then yeah you can add another monitor and move some of the cameras to it. Just right click on a camera in Blue Iris's local console and choose Open in desktop frame. You can move and resize these desktop frames, and you can drag cameras between frames. You could even have each camera in its own frame so your layout is totally custom. There's also a button to move an entire camera group into its own desktop frame, just below the live cameras area, below the dropdown box containing your group names.

Be aware that CPU usage does go up significantly when you have Blue Iris rendering more pixels. So multiple monitors and/or 4K resolution may require you to cut back the live preview frame rates to keep CPU usage under control.
This is what I was looking for. I thought it might be possible but wasn't able to figure out how to do it. Its great!
I have 3 monitors dedicated to my 'security server' as I call it, and I can now put a different group on each monitor. Very nice!

I will also give the UI3 solution a shot as I can see where it could come in handy.