Love it when dummies get their face on the LPR Cam

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
In California it is/was becoming common for car thief's to specifically target pool guys, and other workers of course. As I assume the thieves feel it is common for pool guy to leave his keys in the truck during his multiple stops. So while he goes in the backyards to do his job they easily drive off with the truck using his car keys. They do work in a team, more than one thief in the car, so that one continues to drive the drop-off / getaway vehicle, and the other drives off with the pool guys truck. Remind your pool guy to take his keys with him at every stop.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is amazing how we learn how deficient our system is when something like this happens.

Every event that happens back here I assess my system and determine if it was adequate and captured what it needed or do I need to add.

It kinda sucks being the neighborhood watchdog without compensation LOL, but if my cams can get my neighbors their stuff back and the perp arrested, hopefully they won't come back.

Reaction score
It is amazing how we learn how deficient our system is when something like this happens.

Every event that happens back here I assess my system and determine if it was adequate and captured what it needed or do I need to add.
That's Best Practices man! I have done the same thing. Before I retired, we always evaluated the system after an issue. Called it a post mortem.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious. From the amount of time it took, I might assume they hot wired the truck. Or did he leave keys inside?
Keys were not in it, but apparently those older Chevy's are DEAD simple to steal. Luckily all their pool equipment was still in my backyard

They got it back a week later when it got towed after being parked in a handicap spot. I'm guessing it got used in a crime and dumped

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But some people never learn lol.

Many here are familiar with the story I share about my neighbor bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm fixed lens 4k cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away. Meanwhile my 2MP varifocal optically zoomed in to the public sidewalk provided the money shot to the police to get my neighbors all their stuff back. Nobody else had video that could provide anything useful, other than what time this motion blur ghost was at their car.

So he started with arlos and after that incident and those failed, he "upgraded" to the reolinks (because those cameras are bigger than arlos so they must be better was his thinking) and then after the incident last month and those produced even worse results, he now upgraded again to these bad boys lol

https://www.amazon.com/Defender-IP4MCB1-Megapixel-Resolution-Recording/dp/B07XB2D3CK?th=1

He has now spent more on 3 failed attempts to provide coverage than just purchasing one good Dahua OEM...

Sad thing is he knows after the first incident what my cameras are capable of achieving, but some people go after low cost...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My curve was slightly less horrific but similar. inherit black and white CCTV on new job. get mail stolen. buy 2mp "color" cams install in mail room. Still Analog cctv, but an improvment.
Shit goes down outback, NO cams outside the bldg. buy a Swann bullet and screw it to the back of the bldg. oh boy now were cooking. LOL.
Find IPCAMTALK......:banghead::smash: I'm doing it all wrong....
Start buying IP Cams. no plates. By the 5241 z12......Start turning in plates to the Sheriff.....
buy 5442 6mm, more plates in back lot at night. Catch converter idiots. Call Sheriff.....
Nobody's stopped by in awhile LOL.....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
His "upgrade" is his neighbor having good cameras
Unfortunately I think that is the truth LOL.

As much as I would love to go around and ask for donations, most are oblivious that the cameras are even there, so no doubt it would tick someone off and cause a stink not worth the donations I would get.

But it would have been nice if my neighbor that got back $1,000s worth of equipment back because of my cams gave me a little reward lol.