Low Cost Illuminators

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've noticed there was a lot of people buying the CMVision illuminators so I purchase the IR3, a 3 LED illuminator on Amazon for $15,49. It's advertised to have a lighting angle of 60-80 degrees and 50-100' range.

So first to show you the problem I had and why I need an illuminator in the first place. I have a Hikvision ds-2cd3332-i in my backyard and this is what it look like at night. This is setting the camera up as best I can. There's a dark area where there's 2 lounge chairs and patio table.

So place the illuminator directly in that area. Having it with the camera did not add any value. It added a good amount of light, but far from the 60-80 degree lighting angle, more like half that, about 30-40 degrees. Not scientific but to me, looks like a flashlight more than an illuminator and distance seems very good too. It has the same 3 LEDs, but they use higher quality LEDs, clearly bright and wider beam. The problem I had with CMVision is the power supply they sold me was very cheaply made and did not work out of the box. Would cost me more to ship it back than it's worth so off to the landfill it went.

Then I tried a more expensive illuminator from Wrightwood Surveillance, their Tri-Illuminator, Placed it in the same location, it really lit up that area. You can see the patio table and well up the slope behind the fence. The beam width is about the advertised 60 degrees

Both can serve a purpose and the IR3 for $15.49 can't be beat. If you need more light output, both in intensity and brightness, the Tri-Illuminator does a better job and looks better made for $54.99.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does the Tri-Illuminator have a wall wart for power?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
None of these comes with the power supply, but you can order the illuminator with or without the wall wort power supply which is a fairly standard 12V unit, nicely made, about 3+ feet long.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I may try using my old POS Foscams for illuminators first. At least that part works :rolleyes:. I have one pointed at my back yard and does a decent job..