Low cost software for continuous recording of RTSP streams

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

My apologies in advance if this is answered elsewhere and I've simply missed it, or if I'm asking this in the wrong sub forum!

Can anyone give a recommendation for software to run on a PC to record RTSP streams from a number of IP cameras direct to disk without any processing. If the files can be broken into manageable chunks and then viewed later with something like VLC, that is all that I need...

I could just go with something like BlueIris, but this project is very much on a budget and BlueIris seems to be way overboard for the requirements that we have.

Thanks in advance for any help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,

My apologies in advance if this is answered elsewhere and I've simply missed it, or if I'm asking this in the wrong sub forum!

Can anyone give a recommendation for software to run on a PC to record RTSP streams from a number of IP cameras direct to disk without any processing. If the files can be broken into manageable chunks and then viewed later with something like VLC, that is all that I need...

I could just go with something like BlueIris, but this project is very much on a budget and BlueIris seems to be way overboard for the requirements that we have.

Thanks in advance for any help!
if 60 dollars is "overboard" milestone is free for up to 8 cameras..

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion - I've set MileStone Express to download but at 1.2GB it's a bit of a whopper and will take a while to download.

The thing holding me back on BlueIris is the fact that it's actually going to be $120 to cover 2 locations and I'm not a fan of software that requires activation regardless of how cheap it is, so prefer to avoid it wherever possible.

If anyone else has any suggestions for something simple to do the job, I'd appreciate it!

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I understand you can get a discount if you purchase more than one copy of BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion - I've set MileStone Express to download but at 1.2GB it's a bit of a whopper and will take a while to download.

The thing holding me back on BlueIris is the fact that it's actually going to be $120 to cover 2 locations and I'm not a fan of software that requires activation regardless of how cheap it is, so prefer to avoid it wherever possible.

If anyone else has any suggestions for something simple to do the job, I'd appreciate it!
so you dont want low cost software..you want freeware..
milestone will require yearly activation..

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
Freeware would be ideal, yes, but a small amount could be justified. This is for a non profit organisation which basically has no budget for a security system...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Freeware would be ideal, yes, but a small amount could be justified. This is for a non profit organisation which basically has no budget for a security system...
so use milestone and dont bitch about having to register...its FREE! or buy cameras from one manufacture and use their free software.