low profile, wide angle illumination

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently moved a couple of cameras to a new area, but the ambient light is really horrible (north side of building, virtually no moonlight even on full moon evenings.)

I've been thinking of adding additional IR illumination, but everything I seem to find looks like a giant floodlight. I was hoping to find something that is low profile with a wide enough angle that it matches the camera's POV angle (say, around 120 degrees or so). POE would be ideal so I do not need to run additional power to each location.

Anyone have any leads I could pursue?

LauraYuan

n3wb
Reaction score
There are low light, wide angle lenses, but they cost a lot of money. There's a 20mm f/2.8 ($450) and even that might not be wide enough for you considering the crop factor. While the 50mm is fast enough at f/1.8, I don't think it's wide enough either.
The straight-forward answer to your question is that you need a wide angle lens (wide enough to account for your crop factor) with a large aperature, at least f/2.8 or larger.
However, you mention that price is an issue, and you won't find a reasonably priced wide angle lens with an aperature larger than f/3.5. The sad fact of photography is that large aperatures cost more. The expensive answer is to get a 17-55mm f/2.8, but that lens is $1,030. The cheap answer is to get a tripod and use a wide angle zoom, like the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ($170).
Understanding the relationships among ISO, focal length, aperature and shutter speed will also help a lot.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Look on Amazon IR illuminator brand Tendelux. 4, 8, 12w illuminators.
Yes, I did see these. I was hoping to avoid something that looks like a spotlight... I mean, if I have to mount a spotlight, or an IR illuminator that looks like a spotlight, I might as well mount a spotlight on a motion sensor and be done with it.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want visible light then use a regular flood light but clearly it'll light the place up and look like you have "spot lights" at night. If you want the light to be invisible to the human eye use IR illuminators and no one will notice they are there. If this is about anesthetics in the daytime then you probably want to rethink how/where you mount the cams because the cams themselves are more eye catching.

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.