LPR Cam installed 6 days ago already recorded a crime

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Due to an incident in our neighborhood I was motivated to add a LPR cam.

I got my HFW5241E-Z12E from Andy and installed it 6 days ago and got it working thanks to the awesome help of the people here that post in the LPR section. I thought there was a good chance it would never be used but this morning a door checker got into a car in front of a neighbor within view of my cameras. After I told them what happened they called police who also dropped by my house and were very impressed with the LPR video, asking what kind of camera it was. We shall see if anything happens, especially since it didn't appear anything was taken. Anyway, it was very encouraging since LPR can be tedious to set up.

Reaction score
My LPR cameras have been instrumental in the arrest of two felons, one of whom tried to break into a neighbor's home while the family was present, and another who tried to break into a car that a teenage girl was sitting in. They are absolutely worth every dollar and every hour I spent setting them up.

You really can't put a price on that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would be something haha it would give me incentive me to expand my setup faster :lol:
Absolutely LOL - I would so expand quicker if neighbors offered to help fund my addiction, um I mean my surveillance cameras :p

I did have one offer to pay me for the CD I burned for him LOL - but I declined.

What would be a good rate - 10% of the value of the stolen goods LOL?

Reaction score
It would be nice if our neighbors that benefit from our cams would donate to our efforts LOL!
Personally I'd be happy if every person who has asked me for help went to the effort and expense of installing one lousy Wyze Cam at their own home, much less a comprehensive video surveillance system.

It's the old story of the little monkeys in the jungle, who swore they'd build a house every night, but forgot about it and played all day when the sun came up. Once the sense of violation fades away, so does the determination to protect yourself ... until the next time.

Reaction score
Due to an incident in our neighborhood I was motivated to add a LPR cam.

I got my HFW5241E-Z12E from Andy and installed it 6 days ago and got it working thanks to the awesome help of the people here that post in the LPR section. I thought there was a good chance it would never be used but this morning a door checker got into a car in front of a neighbor within view of my cameras. After I told them what happened they called police who also dropped by my house and were very impressed with the LPR video, asking what kind of camera it was. We shall see if anything happens, especially since it didn't appear anything was taken. Anyway, it was very encouraging since LPR can be tedious to set up.

That is amazing! I am in the LPR market - I need to capture moving vehicles at night though. There has been some recent crime in my neighborhood, my truck broken into twice, and my current cams could not read bulb illuminated plates while the getaway vehicle was moving. How is yours working on moving vehicles? I am limited to dome cameras only due to permit issues where I live. I was considering - IPC-HDBW7442H-Z4 any tips or guidance is much appreciated. Thank you!

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't believe a dome camera will be of much use in reading plates moving at a distance. If you click on the forums link at top, go to Hardware-IP cameras-LPR. There's a lot of info there in the LPR section.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is amazing! I am in the LPR market - I need to capture moving vehicles at night though. There has been some recent crime in my neighborhood, my truck broken into twice, and my current cams could not read bulb illuminated plates while the getaway vehicle was moving. How is yours working on moving vehicles? I am limited to dome cameras only due to permit issues where I live. I was considering - IPC-HDBW7442H-Z4 any tips or guidance is much appreciated. Thank you!
You can see the two cameras I use for my LPR setup in my signature the Z12E is for plates and the Z4E is an overview atm. I probably will eventually replace the Z4E with another non zoom camera. Here are two clips from last night. You will need to modify settings on the LPR camera but my overview has not been really touched in settings.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Please post the videos! We all would love to see them.
I guess I could. It was far enough away that it's hard to even see a person. The car stopped next to my neighbor's car so they were in between the 2 cars the whole time. I'll work something up.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Please post the videos! We all would love to see them.
As requested, sorry no music or special effects. I notice a car stop by my neighbors car for about a
minute and wonder what that's about.
View attachment BI1.mp4

He leaves and my new LPR does it's thing.
View attachment BI2.mp4

View attachment BI3.mp4

View attachment BI4.mp4

I"m curious but my flagpole is right in the way. When daylight comes I see his back door was left open so I pay him a visit.
BI5.jpg
Sorry if that was too much information.

Reaction score
I don't believe a dome camera will be of much use in reading plates moving at a distance. If you click on the forums link at top, go to Hardware-IP cameras-LPR. There's a lot of info there in the LPR section.
The only way I can run a bullet or other type camera will be from inside a window looking out. Our city requires cameras outside of buildings to be dome only. This is non-negotiable - unfortunately, I know this limits me from some common options.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I really wish the IP and LPR cameras were as easy to set up as the near-useless Ring cameras which most people use.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As requested, sorry no music or special effects. I notice a car stop by my neighbors car for about a
minute and wonder what that's about.

I"m curious but my flagpole is right in the way. When daylight comes I see his back door was left open so I pay him a visit.
View attachment 70092
Sorry if that was too much information.
So was your neighbors car broke into and they left the door open?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Excellent work! Hey, what's with the toadstools on the lawn?! ;-)