LPR Cam installed 6 days ago already recorded a crime

Reaction score
The only way I can run a bullet or other type camera will be from inside a window looking out. Our city requires cameras outside of buildings to be dome only. This is non-negotiable - unfortunately, I know this limits me from some common options.
That is interesting. What city in the U.S. mandates such a requirement? And how could they get away with it? Even where I live, with a city council that considers LPR cameras to be the tool of Big Brother, they can't do a thing to stop private homeowners and business owners from installing them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is amazing! I am in the LPR market - I need to capture moving vehicles at night though. There has been some recent crime in my neighborhood, my truck broken into twice, and my current cams could not read bulb illuminated plates while the getaway vehicle was moving. How is yours working on moving vehicles? I am limited to dome cameras only due to permit issues where I live. I was considering - IPC-HDBW7442H-Z4 any tips or guidance is much appreciated. Thank you!
I believe a dome can work - it comes down to having the correct amount of zoom and being able to manually adjust settings like shutter.

I think you should start a new thread in the LPR subforum and show a Google Map image of the distance from your house to the street at different angles, etc. and I am sure we can find a dome that will work.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
So was your neighbors car broke into and they left the door open?
Yes they left the door open when they were done going through it, but I suspect a door was unlocked, no broken glass.

Excellent work! Hey, what's with the toadstools on the lawn?! ;-)
Haha, I saw that too! We had a good, long overdue rain and those popped up.

Reaction score
The only way I can run a bullet or other type camera will be from inside a window looking out. Our city requires cameras outside of buildings to be dome only. This is non-negotiable - unfortunately, I know this limits me from some common options.
Many folks have installed 'hidden' cams in different types of boxes, from bird houses to fabricated mailbox bottoms to welcome signs and others. Search the forum and maybe you can get some ideas. Like @wittaj stated, there are some domes that could work IF the distance is not too great. It would all depend on the specific location.

Reaction score
Many folks have installed 'hidden' cams in different types of boxes, from bird houses to fabricated mailbox bottoms to welcome signs and others. Search the forum and maybe you can get some ideas. Like @wittaj stated, there are some domes that could work IF the distance is not too great. It would all depend on the specific location.
But this raises a question: if bullet cameras are not permitted where he lives, and he provides LPR footage to the police, what happens if they ask how he got those images? I have to wonder if he might wind up getting cited by the local zoning commission for having an "illegal" camera installed.

So this might be a situation where he'll need to install a hidden LPR camera, but have a dome overview camera visibly mounted nearby. That way people will see the dome and assume that's what recorded the LPR image.

Reaction score
Does the ordinance also prohibit PTZ cameras like the Dahua SD49225T-HN? I've used mine for LPR in a pinch, when one of my -Z12 cameras was offline.

Reaction score
But this raises a question: if bullet cameras are not permitted where he lives, and he provides LPR footage to the police, what happens if they ask how he got those images? I have to wonder if he might wind up getting cited by the local zoning commission for having an "illegal" camera installed.
All good points. One would have to read the specific law. It might say something like '...cameras visible to the public...' or '...are in plain view from the street...'.

I doubt if the agencies talk to each other. I also doubt if the police are the ones that enforce that law.

Reaction score
I doubt if the agencies talk to each other. I also doubt if the police are the ones that enforce that law.
As always with such situations, the risk of being caught is not due to the police (who typically don't give two flips about such minor matters), but the neighbor who reports you to the city zoning commission - repeatedly. Live next to one of those types, and you have to be very careful.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this camera a curse? I put it up and 6 days later a neighbors car is "broken" into. The next night we find out the neighbor next door to him was found dead. He was older, single, had recently had carotid surgery (possibly related). After his neighbor on the other side noticed 4 days of newspapers laying out he called his son who came over and found him dead.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What commie city is this that restricts camera type so I can be sure never to visit here? This is an actual ordinance the council actually took time to pass??

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Must be nice to live in a city where outdoor camera shape is one of their bigger problems. :)
I know. Perhaps this city isn’t in the USA. But if it is and this is an actual ordinance that means city/county staff has to draw up the legal language of the ordinance itself, then a councilman has to put it in the agenda, then they have to hold a public hearing during a council meeting, then they have to have a motion, and then vote on it with a majority vote to pass. I mean the amount of work involved to actively restrict a camera type via a local law is mind boggling.

I just find it hard to believe there is an honest to God ordinance (punishable by civil fine at the least or criminal arrest at the most) on the books like this but who knows in today’s world what the hell is going on... Perhaps it’s a larger overarching ordinance that accomplishes other things and this was thrown in. I’d sure like to read it if so regardless.

Reaction score
I know. Perhaps this city isn’t in the USA. But if it is and this is an actual ordinance that means city/county staff has to draw up the legal language of the ordinance itself, then a councilman has to put it in the agenda, then they have to hold a public hearing during a council meeting, then they have to have a motion, and then vote on it with a majority vote to pass. I mean the amount of work involved to actively restrict a camera type via a local law is mind boggling.

I just find it hard to believe there is an honest to God ordinance (punishable by civil fine at the least or criminal arrest at the most) on the books like this but who knows in today’s world what the hell is going on... Perhaps it’s a larger overarching ordinance that accomplishes other things and this was thrown in. I’d sure like to read it if so regardless.
It has to do with the "historic" nature of the city. It is a perpetual fine. I believe it is a minimum of $50/day, forever, until you are back in compliance. The rule is that "Anything that can be seen from the public right of way (sidewalks/streets) must be in keeping with the Historic District Landmarks Comission". My home is not registered historic, it has no sign on it, and it isn't on some US registry... it is just an old home in an old neighborhood and 80% of the city is under this crap. There is a board of architects that makes up whatever they want with no recourse. They have the rule of law.

Reaction score
All good points. One would have to read the specific law. It might say something like '...cameras visible to the public...' or '...are in plain view from the street...'.

They have inspectors who go around. They will notice it, specifically because it is non-compliant, try to look up an approval permit for a non-compliant item, not find one and then issue me a perpetual fine citation and a hearing at city hall. Popping up a dome camera is much easier to sneak by, but, still technically requires a "free" permit".

Reaction score
Wow, I used to live there and never heard of that. Lived on Fontainebleau Drive for years (1980-86) and then at Green and Dante until late 1988.
Ya you can look up the HDLC city ordinance. :( Its super lame. I appreciate not wanting to have the city filled with random tastes and styles but I also don't appreciate sacrificing quality over aesthetics.... and that is something the HDLC specializes in :(