LPR Cam - This angle good enough?

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Started using IPVM to try and figure out the camera to go with. I'm trying to figure out the best cam location to try and get a LPR cam.

Thoughts on if this angle will capture anything useful? It might during the day, but not sure I'll get a reflection at night?

LPR Cam PPF.png

Getting a PPF with full zoom of 152 at 144 feet away.

LPR Cam.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The speed of the vehicle will matter also. The faster they're going, the more straight on you want to be.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You've got 2 angles to consider the vertical upward or downward angle and the horizontal angle left or right. You could try it, but my expectations would be kind of low if the goal is automated read using software.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Like mentioned above, see the LPR threads. I just setup that same camera at 137 feet but have much less angle. That may be too much angle. Here's my post about my install; IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 LPR from 137 feet

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.. not sure of the alternatives... put a "birdhouse" on the property with a big lpr camera inside? lol. NOt sure how that'd fly. ha, ha. Get it? Fly.. birdhouse... I kill myself.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
@crc2004 has his dialed in nice!

Speed can be a factor too.
I found anything beyond 30 degrees angle of attack to be damn hard to get consistent reads.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm planning mine to be mounted off the side of the mailbox right at street and plate level. Vehicles will be coming around a small bend and I will have mostly a straight view with minor angle as they go by on a slow wide angle curve. Vehicles will pass by at quite close range, (within a few feet of the mailbox leaving and a lane further away coming), around 25-40mph, (speed limit is 20 but no one has a car that goes that slow apparently).
Will this be an optimal angle and distance for a good plate capture?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.. not sure of the alternatives... put a "birdhouse" on the property with a big lpr camera inside? lol. NOt sure how that'd fly. ha, ha. Get it? Fly.. birdhouse... I kill myself.
Get everything else squared away before you worry about LPR. Even with a steep angle if ALPR doesn't work reliably you may be able to at least manually read partial plates

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
upload_2018-1-27_12-3-59.png
You've got a similar angle this direction too. Both are > 30 degrees which is the maximum recommended in the OpenALPR documentation. The location off the garage might be an easier install and shorter distance, but wouldn't perform any better.