LPR camera addition

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK - you can speed up shutter to 1/2000 and probably knock HLC down to 30-40 and Gain to 35. That should knock most of that headlight glare out of there.

You might be able to nudge the camera down a little too - those plates were near the bottom of the image - is there enough space below that if someone had a low plate hanging off the bumper you would still get?

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright I updated my settings and will see how it works out night. These pictures were just as they entered the frame so I do have more video of them as they leave the Cul De Sac to get a better view if needed.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK - you can speed up shutter to 1/2000 and probably knock HLC down to 30-40 and Gain to 35. That should knock most of that headlight glare out of there.

You might be able to nudge the camera down a little too - those plates were near the bottom of the image - is there enough space below that if someone had a low plate hanging off the bumper you would still get?
With the settings you recommended I am getting a harder to read plate from the same car am probably going to go back to my previous settings and leave it be for now unless someone has some other recommendation.

FLPR.20200812_035559096_1.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an LPR expert, don't even have a camera setup for LPR, but to me it looks like you could use an IR cannon. The tail lights are still washing out the plate which, to me, says faster shutter. If you do that you won't see the plate because of lack of illumination so an IR cannon might be the best solution.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Are those headlights or tail lights?

You may have to position it so you get them leaving only to avoid the headlight washout.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are those headlights or tail lights?

You may have to position it so you get them leaving only to avoid the headlight washout.
They are headlights in this picture but usually this position gets tail lights this one car just drives on the opposite side of the road every morning.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm surprised that plate was brighter being hit with IR. You are running a 1/1500 or 1/2000 shutter right?

As long as you are getting good reads on the back of most of the cars (those that don't drive on the wrong side of the road that is) I'd say that is successful.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm surprised that plate was brighter being hit with IR. You are running a 1/1500 or 1/2000 shutter right?

As long as you are getting good reads on the back of most of the cars (those that don't drive on the wrong side of the road that is) I'd say that is successful.
Last night the shutter was at 1/2000 but before that it was at 1/1000.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Something isn't right that doesn't look like a 1/2000 shutter is 2,000 and not 200? Maybe since we don't care about anything but the plate, take gain lower (0-20).

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I would try your settings from yesterday anda bit, iris will greatly effect the amount of light...

.....assuming you have IR at 100%

And you’ll be able to get this dialed in in a day or two if you park your car there and have someone help vs waiting on the random vehicle, it could take weeks

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would try your settings from yesterday anda bit, iris will greatly effect the amount of light...

.....assuming you have IR at 100%

And you’ll be able to get this dialed in in a day or two if you park your car there and have someone help vs waiting on the random vehicle, it could take weeks
Alright I went back to 1/2000 shutter my gain is now 10-40 and I increased my Iris to 53 and moved my HLC back to 40. Lets see how those settings work out tonight. Good this is this car comes every day at around the same time and I recently verified it is the newspaper delivery guy for those to still get those haha.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you own a car?

You will have a lot more success if you can see the changes real time. Making a change and waiting for a single car the next day will be a painfully long process.

After dark, have your wife, friend, kid, drive your car to the spot and idle while you make setting changes and see the effect real time.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you own a car?
Yup but my car doesn't have a front license plate and my cars lights are LED which don't blast my camera like this car does in the picture I posted earlier. I could go and park it to tune the back of cars but that is less of a problem than the front.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Alright I went back to 1/2000 shutter my gain is now 10-40 and I increased my Iris to 53 and moved my HLC back to 40. Lets see how those settings work out tonight. Good this is this car comes every day at around the same time and I recently verified it is the newspaper delivery guy for those to still get those haha.

Too many changes at one time dont allow you to know which change made the difference...

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another night with these updated settings and I think that I am satisfied that I don't need to do any more modifications. I get really clear license plates in the back and the headlights on the front are not as blown out and I am still able to get the license plate. I appreciate everyone's advice and assistance on this I believe it will only get easier as I build out the rest of my camera setup because none of my other cameras will need this amount of low light tweaking.

InkedFLPR.20200812_222929433_1_LI.jpgInkedFLPR.20200813_034223152_1_LI.jpgInkedFLPR.20200813_054656622_1_LI.jpg