LPR Focus issues again...

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So my cam typically does great with focus both day and night, but the last few days it has lost focus, causing me to miss a lot of plates. Unfortunately during one of these moments, we had some issues and I was not able to provide the plate number. I am wondering if there is a way to periodically send specific zoom and focus settings to the cam throughout the day to be sure it is set where it should be. I know the daylight utility would do this, but I don't want to use it for day/night settings. Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?

I am only zoomed at 1020 , so the zoom isn't too close. I figured that might have been the issue, but it has been fine for a good while. TIA for all input.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you not set specify a manual focus for both day and night settings? What camera?

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I set the focus in the settings, but it seems like it will just randomly auto adjust. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. It is a dahua 5231rz12e

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If it’s a Dahua Z12, simply set the Schedule profile to switch from color to B&W 45 min before sundown to give it enough light to focus before dark.
Then in the morning, wait and have it switch to color 30-45 min after sunrise.

Works great

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have it that way also. That is why I am confused. I haven't had any issue with it since I changed the profile. Maybe I need to back it up a bit more. I will give that a shot.

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So even if I am just in the settings, I clicked over to look at the profile and back to look at the zoom/focus, and the focus had changed from 1465 to 1460.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 2 of the older 5231’s but no trouble losing focus during the day..

Move the zoom 5 either direction. Sometimes they find an odd focus point they don’t like

I keep one in B&W 24/7 and it has no issues at close to max zoom, about 90%

I never touch focus, just zoom. Let focus do it’s thing by itself. Maybe reset zoom/focus and start from default.

Last edited:

giavonnie

n3wb
Reaction score
So my cam typically does great with focus both day and night, but the last few days it has lost focus, causing me to miss a lot of plates. Unfortunately during one of these moments, we had some issues and I was not able to provide the plate number. I am wondering if there is a way to periodically send specific zoom and focus settings to the cam throughout the day to be sure it is set where it should be. I know the daylight utility would do this, but I don't want to use it for day/night settings. Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?

I am only zoomed at 1020 , so the zoom isn't too close. I figured that might have been the issue, but it has been fine for a good while. TIA for all input.
With both of my LPR cams I set the focus during the day and then set the focus to semi-auto so that the focus will only change if I change the zoom setting otherwise it stays focused regardless of day night and I never miss a plate.