LPR for 160m/540f

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, we might try the cheapest version first :)

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
anyone have any interesting idea's for a PTZ that'll have a strong enough IR and zoom to vaguely get human readable plates at 540 foot?

I was thinking about your attempt to collect plates that far (super cool by the way!). I have a hikvision PTZ mounted on my house. I wanted to see if I could read plates down the block, just for fun since the cars are coming my direction anyway.

I could zoom out and read plates at about 450ft (read with the eye, not software). I can read see the plates in the daytime, no problem. HOWEVER, when you are zoomed out that far you get a lot of 'shaking' in the image. There is always vibration/movement in whatever you are mounting your camera on. It is not a big deal and can't even be seen when you are at normal distances.

When you zoom a PTZ way out like that you can see a small area but you will find there is movement in the image as the building/tree/pole you have it mounted to ever so slightly moves.

Just something to think about as you attempt long distance captures.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
If you need additional light, consider something like this:

Purchase the one that has the smallest angle. I use these, they can push the light for sure!
I am thinking of getting this Axton model 11e using 10 degrees for 540 feet, which uses PoE, but am wondering if an AC adapter can be used in lieu of getting a splitter for PoE? My camera now draws less than 3W, so this 11W IR emitter should be okay with my Ubiquiti PoE port.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting this Axton model 11e using 10 degrees for 540 feet, which uses PoE, but am wondering if an AC adapter can be used in lieu of getting a splitter for PoE? My camera now draws less than 3W, so this 11W IR emitter should be okay with my Ubiquiti PoE port.

If it is the PoE version, you can't use an AC adapter. They make non PoE versions (I have two of them) that you power with a 12v power supply, those can not be connected via PoE - if you try, you blow up your light.

This light here: Smart 11S IR Illuminator - Security Camera IR Light, outdoor rated

530ft range, no PoE - you must power with DC. Personally I find the PoE versions much more convenient. I ended up with the non PoE versions due to a screwup in shipping.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Some reviews report less than 8w per channel. It could be problematic with an 11w draw. That said, if the power budget is aggregated and only split on using both ports, you might get lucky and have 16w total budget.

Personally, I'd consider going a little premium when connecting a $300 illuminator as it doesn't make sense to save $10 or 20 on the POE extender if the risk is damaging a $300 fixture.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry I don't follow the suggestion on going premium, CCTVCam. Is the concern that a splitter would be used? Or the model of splitter? I hope the wattage will be okay, as I have a PTZ camera drawing 12.5 to 16W on another port.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If more POE power is needed for the camera plus IR lamp give one of these units a try. It is 30 watt wall wart for an IP cam. Use it as a substitute for your present 48 VDC POE supply.

They are half price if purchased in a box of 4 units. Use these here for setting up Dahua cameras and to run one remote camera via a RF link.

POE Power Injector.png

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
If more POE power is needed for the camera plus IR lamp give one of these units a try. It is 30 watt wall wart for an IP cam. Use it as a substitute for your present 48 VDC POE supply. . . .
Thanks for the link. The Linovision splitter should work well, as one port allows for 8W and the other for 16W. The IR emitter is rated at 11W.

I do have a 120V AC outlet not too far from where the camera and old emitter are under the eaves, so your PoE injector would work okay if it were rated for outdoors.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wow, this thread delivers :)

for some level of continuity I found the site had previously purchased an ancient SD49825XB-HNR which we're playing with, sadly with the 25x zoom and a bad mounting position it's getting some plate during the day but is not able to get close enough to the target area to get stuff during the day, nor is the illuminator it came with strong enough

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The biggest issue with the 49825 is that it is 8MP on the 1/2.8" sensor that was designed for 2MP, so it needs over 4 times that amount of light as the 2MP 49225 on the same 1/2.8" sensor to produce the same brightness of an image at night.

The 2MP version might be capable.

So at 540 feet, you will want to pay attention to MP/sensor ratio.

8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor
4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor
2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor

If you get one on the less than ideal MP/sensor ratio, it will struggle at that distance.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
My Dahua 5241 camera was using a large IR emitter of invisible light, but the line of site to the plates on the street crosses a neighbor's property, and I didn't like how the old IR emitter was widely radiating the neighbor's property with IR, as well as the fact that invisible IR does not reflect as well as visible IR.

So I bought this Axton 11e IR emitter (when it was only $299) rated at 11 watts with a spread of only 10 degrees:

. . . and I tried the Linovision mini PoE splitter, but the UniFi port was only showing a total of 8 or so watts with the combined spotter camera's 2 watts of power. So I ordered this 15 watt PoE injector which Alaska Country had recommended:

. . . along with this female-female adapter from Amazon:

The Axton 11e does a good job of emitting IR at a distance. The plate reflections are pretty bright, and so I'd like to adjust the Dahua's shutter speed up from 1/1000 to 1/2000 tonight as a test to see if the plates attain an easier view.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.