LPR For IPC-B5442E-Z4E

iamnothim

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ordered a set of these to try.

NOTE: The SFP port on the $36 switch......it's upside down.
I just discovered something that makes perfect sense. (unfortunately) If the SFP is upside down on the $36 switch then the TX port will be on the left whereas on a normal switch with a normal SFP the TX port will be on the right. "You Got Ta Roll Me, You Got Ta Roll me"

AND. DOES THE INTENSITY OF THE LIGHT FROM THE MODULES LOOK STRONG ENOUGH TO WORK. THESE LOOK THE SAME AS THE ONES I SENT BACK.

IMG_1123.jpegIMG_1124.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Way back "in the day" when fiber was just coming into vogue we used to use a flashlight to test them with to see which strand was which. That's plenty of light for a fiber connection.

Reaction score
And if that Z12 also included a feature for entering the latitude and longitude, so that it could switch between day and night profiles at local sunrise / sunset, then my happiness would be complete. :)
Run Home Assistant with Dahua camera integration, and your wish is granted!

Reaction score
I still have my dedicated LPR camera that everyone recommended back at end of last year that I've been meaning to install on my lamp post (5231-z12e), sitting in my box.
I also need to repurpose my newer IPC-B5442E-Z4E as no longer needed to watch 160' entranceway (too many HUMAN alerts due to neighbors). Any vehicle that comes at my house has to travel 100'. Is the B5442e-z4e better for dedicated LPR than the 5231? If same or not much difference, I will probably put the B5442-z4e in the birdhouse to replace the 5442 6.0mm.

iamnothim

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was expecting like so. Any I’m rolling it out
So far a total bust. Filed under a you get what you paid for product you discover that there is no link light for the SFP port. Is there a link? I wonder? That’s a little bit north of annoying. My red fiber flashlight shows that I have fiber continuity end end including the patch cables. However when I plug the camera in I only get some blinking lights on the originating POE port. And once again the mfg is very skimpy on indicator lights each port has one light only.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still have my dedicated LPR camera that everyone recommended back at end of last year that I've been meaning to install on my lamp post (5231-z12e), sitting in my box.
I also need to repurpose my newer IPC-B5442E-Z4E as no longer needed to watch 160' entranceway (too many HUMAN alerts due to neighbors). Any vehicle that comes at my house has to travel 100'. Is the B5442e-z4e better for dedicated LPR than the 5231? If same or not much difference, I will probably put the B5442-z4e in the birdhouse to replace the 5442 6.0mm.
If the distance will be within about 40-50 feet then the Z4E would work, but I would go with the 5231 and use the Z4E for a better purpose to take advantage of the larger sensor and MP.

iamnothim

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A little help needed please:
#1 Nothing in the manual about this. I cannot remove the SDXC memory chip from my DH-SD49225XA-HNR. It feels locked. Is there a "catch" mechanism of sorts for the holder on the PCB?
#2 Looks like every mfg of a PTZ camera uses the same case builder with the same lousy screws on the case. The screws on my Amcrest PTZ backplate nearly stripped and got worse each time I removed them. Now the Dahau is looking worse after only two times. I'd have no problem swapping them out. Except They are CAPTURED screws and I don't know how to deal with them. Anybody? Suggestions? Thanks !

IMG_1142.jpeg

IMG_1143.jpeg

iamnothim

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep I worked my magic and it’s FUBAR. The chip won’t come out and now thanks to over zealous tweaking it won’t lock down.

pedrokv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Regarding the switch: if you buy managed POE switch, you will obtain a feature to switch on/off POE on each port, which may be usefull, when you have such switch into the attic and some PD device (camera, etc.) will freeze. You will comfortable cut power to that freezed device and then reconnect, without moving from your computer. I have 48 port POE switch from TP-Link - T1600G-52PS and now I want to buy a smaller T1500G-10PS as an addition. (And the reason is not only this feature, but I have VLANs at home).

iamnothim

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should keep kicking this thread or start a new one. If nobody is ta read'n it'll be like always is...I'm just a talk'n to myself.

Finally some good news to report. I have the YuanLey $70 8 x POE, 2 Gig Uplink and SFP switches Working! The POE ports are supporting the Dahua DH-SD49225XA-HNR, the Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5442E-ZE, an Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW-28MM, and an Eero wifi Access Point (not a POE device). This switch is in the Garage loft it exits on 62.5un multimode fiber travels 50ft to an intermediary access panel and crosses to fiber that is terminated in on a matching YuanLey switch in the upstairs closet. Three Amcrest cameras hop on for the ride to the downstairs equipment closet and the last YuanLey switch. This link is a Gig copper trunk because I’m not ready to spend the dou-rhay-me for a fiber termination kit.

Whats the score? 4 devices (3 POE cameras) from the garage to the eq closet via fiber and a copper trunk. Add 3 more cameras on the trunk pt. Then just for kicks I moved the NAS upstairs and plugged the network ports into the 2 “QOS” Ports on the upstairs YuanLey. BTW. I can’t find a model number for the switch other than 8 POE Switch. All the cameras are on the backbone (that’s a stretch) switch.

Now something I didn’t expect. The Synology Surveillance Station camera rewind and ff is crazy fast and very smooth and a whole lot of fun. Click a stop point and “it’s there”. I liked it so much I went to the Synology File Station package and drilled down to play some music. It played instantaneously…That’s zero pause while clicking through folders then I pick a song double click and it plays without hesitation as if it were a CD. To attempt to illustrate I made a screen recording of a selecting and playing a 1.2GB file of a video I made of the Freight Shakers play'n at the local honkey tonk. I put it on iCloud and posted the link.

What’s next? I have 4 more ports available on the upstairs YuanLey. Those would free up some more interconnects but there isn’t a good reason to touch that switch, considering the NAS is on it. There’s the never ending cable housekeeping tasks of routing and labeling. Lastly the pictures are of the MDF and two IDF' and associated switches and gear. At 3 weeks in production the $70 switches appear to be a heck of a bargain.

Screen Recording demonstration. The Freight Shakers. FIXED LINK)
(Probably need to download to a player)

Pic 1) Upstairs MPOE.
Pic 2) Upstairs NAS and POE Switch 2/3
Pic 3) Loft Switch, B442E CAM, EERO AP
Pic 4) Downstairs Equipment Closet AV equip Cab. Internet Modem
Pic 5) Garage Junction box. Intermediate fiber connection.
Pic 6) Downstairs Equipment Closet No POE requirements.Mstr_MPOE.jpegIMG_1267.jpegIMG_1256.jpegIMG_1253.jpegIMG_1225.jpegIMG_1251.jpeg

Last edited:

iamnothim

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I need to correct something. I said three cameras hop on for the ride to the downstairs closet. Well that may imply that they’re going to a matching port at the far end of a switch to switch trunk. And that they need something coming from a patched port. Well not with this topology once they’re plugged into a switch port they become part of “the network” and everything is right there on the backbone. I’ve spent some time wrapping my brain around that one. If you look at the switch sitting on top of the equipment cabinet you’ll see that there’s only an orange patch cord and a white patch cord. The white patch cord is in the second trunk port and goes to the upstairs switch. The orange cord is in the first trunk port and goes to a Firewalla firewall which provides all the network resources. Any wired device on the network can now access theses resources.

Last edited: