LPR motion settings

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can anybody share their LPR motion settings? I have absolutley had it and threw my hands up and set one of my LPRs to continous recording and will probably do the same for the other 3. I have it as sensitive as possible and still miss events.

First, I assume constant "signal restored" messages in the status are normal at night when its just a black image feed because the bitrate is so low right?

I've had motion size and contrast sliders fully left (most sensitive), 0 sec make time, not required to travel pixels, dissabled the trigger reset if exceeds certain frame %, simple algorithm, high definition (tried regular too). I cant get it, I can take the darkest late model car (LED tail lights that dont show up) and it can trigger the camera, but then tonight I watched a POS neon with regular bright incandescent lights drivr right out and not trigger the camera. I'm at my witts end

They are dahua 2 MP starlight Z12 cams. I have it set to the Dahua profile that has ONIF in the description, 25 FPS, i frame the same, direct to disk, etc.

Tonight I changed it to 15 FPS and continous recording. Until I can get the motion working reliably. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are your bitrates set to? You should never be getting signal loss/restore unless you have a connection issue.

Also what is your iframe interval?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The bitrates in the cameras are / were set to like max or almost max. Like 10mbps or 8 mbps. I have 3 LPRs. 2 of them at one site 1 at another. All 3 same model cam. All 3 exibit the same signal restored symptom and they are the only cams that do. All cable runs pass a continuity check.

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The bitrates in the cameras are / were set to like max or almost max. Like 10mbps or 8 mbps. I have 3 LPRs. 2 of them at one site 1 at another. All 3 same model cam. All 3 exibit the same signal restored symptom and they are the only cams that do. All cable runs pass a continuity check.

Thats high for 2 mp. Wonder if the bitrate is locking the cameras up temporarily trying to keep up with the set bitrate. Could be interference on the wires but I doubt it. Try setting one to 4096 and see if you still get those messages.

I would say your iframe is/was 25 to match your fps?

Just curious are you powering these via a poe switch or injectors? How far are the runs do you think?

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thats high for 2 mp. Wonder if the bitrate is locking the cameras up temporarily trying to keep up with the set bitrate. Could be interference on the wires but I doubt it. Try setting one to 4096 and see if you still get those messages.

I would say your iframe is/was 25 to match your fps?

Just curious are you powering these via a poe switch or injectors? How far are the runs do you think?

All my cams are 2mp starlights and all were running the same bitrate and 25fps frame rate (and iframe). I can lower the bitrate to 4096 if you think that should help. How will it effect image quality? The cams are being powered by PoE switches, and I've tried different ports. Of the 3 LPRs at 2 locations one is probaby about 100' run, 60', and 20' from switch.

Thanks for the responses I really would like to get this figured out. Everybody loves BI and I like it, but have become totally frustrated with the motion sensing. So many odities I cant describe. Run a video through the motion detection tester to see why it triggered and zero motion in the clip. Things like that

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All my cams are 2mp starlights and all were running the same bitrate and 25fps frame rate (and iframe). I can lower the bitrate to 4096 if you think that should help. How will it effect image quality? The cams are being powered by PoE switches, and I've tried different ports. Of the 3 LPRs at 2 locations one is probaby about 100' run, 60', and 20' from switch.

Thanks for the responses I really would like to get this figured out. Everybody loves BI and I like it, but have become totally frustrated with the motion sensing. So many odities I cant describe. Run a video through the motion detection tester to see why it triggered and zero motion in the clip. Things like that

If I recall correctly 2mp at 25fps should be right at 4096 so you should have full quality.

A 4mp at 25 you would want hight to not reduce quality. I run my 4mp's at 6000+ generally.

Are these cameras all on their own switches/network.

I never hand any issues with motion, when setting up i generally enable show box and motion. Not recalling exact names on that but it helps new arrow it down a bit.

Ohh and are you cbr or vbe on these?

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I recall correctly 2mp at 25fps should be right at 4096 so you should have full quality.

A 4mp at 25 you would want hight to not reduce quality. I run my 4mp's at 6000+ generally.

Are these cameras all on their own switches/network.

I never hand any issues with motion, when setting up i generally enable show box and motion. Not recalling exact names on that but it helps new arrow it down a bit.

Ohh and are you cbr or vbe on these?

They are cbr. I just remoted into the site that has internet and changed the LPR cams to 4096 and cleared and reset the stats. I will report back. When I have time later today I'll do all the cams.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well I can confirm that as soon as night time hit and the LPRs just show black images the bitrate dropped and I get No signal logs in BI. Can anybody confirm that this is normal for LPRs when viewing a black image?

P.S the bitrate is set at 4096 as requested

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I put one of my starlight turrets in manual mode and forced it to display a black image. The bit rate doesn't drop below 225 kB/s. and no signal loss logs. So why are all 3 of my LPR cameras dropping signal at night? There is no common denominator other than the user (me) and the cameras. All 3 were purchased from andy and all at the same time (same batch)

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
For what its worth, my Z12 is doing temporary LPR duty and in B&W 24/7 due to the focus shift problem. Just checked it and its black screen as expected and running 83kbps. Mine is hooked to a NVR4208-8P-4KS2 but I'm not seeing any trouble with the camera and it's recording both 24/7 and MD.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For what its worth, my Z12 is doing temporary LPR duty and in B&W 24/7 due to the focus shift problem. Just checked it and its black screen as expected and running 83kbps. Mine is hooked to a NVR4208-8P-4KS2 but I'm not seeing any trouble with the camera and it's recording both 24/7 and MD.
Thanks for looking. Really scratching my head here.