LPR on new Ontario plates

Tekbotslaya

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was all set on adding an LPR to my set up but I'm wondering how difficult it is with the new Ontario License Plates popping up.

blue-license-plate.jpg

For anyone outside of Ontario that is curious, the new plates are not raised lettering or highly reflective like most plates are. There has been a lot of media attention specifically about how they are illegible at night.

1_4816106.jpg
image.png

I'm sure daytime would be marginally more difficult but night time might be near impossible. Has anyone tested on the new plates and had any luck?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yuck, wonder what genius came up with that... No first hand experience with them, but I do see a number of plates that are all but impossible to read. Old, dirty and some just due to colors. I find cranking up Contrast to 70-80 helps somewhat.

Tekbotslaya

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yuck, wonder what genius came up with that... No first hand experience with them, but I do see a number of plates that are all but impossible to read. Old, dirty and some just due to colors. I find cranking up Contrast to 70-80 helps somewhat.
It was a politician with zero real world knowledge no doubt. We also had a series of plates that would completely de-laminate and peel off.

images.jpeg
licenceplate.jpg

We also have to deal with snow covered plates.

Last edited:

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since starting to do ALPR I've been noticing how some plates are just impossible to read. Ones where some of the letters are wiped off, the plate is bent, etc. Often in ways that are readable by a human (with some strain) but so hard for a computer. I wonder if some people do that purposefully to evade the new tolls that operate solely by ALPR.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Starting this year, we now have to replace our plates every 7 years in my state, even if the one we have is in good shape. Currently they are not charging for the replacement, but would imagine that they will in a couple years. Most plates last a long time in the South.