LPR setup help

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Things are looking good so far. Will test things out for the next week and see how it goes. :);)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No offense but there is Zero benefit of running that camera in color at night the way it is. None.

Go to B&W/IR, add something like this (I'm using it at 100-120ft)

Don't look back

HOAEntrP2P_EntTag_main_20240624013905_@13.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No offense but there is Zero benefit of running that camera in color at night the way it is. None.

Don't look back

View attachment 197121
There is a benefit to color (if one can run it) for those that see the new 3M printed plates that have blue in them.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I was speaking to that specific scene. I would venture that it wouldnt be any better with paper plates.

20240622_233845_ch14.png

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting thing happened to me. We got the new LED street lights in and I have been adjusting my cameras and raising the shutter speeds on most of them. I was checking out my LP2 license plate camera and it was not doing the job like it should be doing and like the other three are doing. It is a Dahua B541R-Z4E-S3. Come to find out my HLC was not set high enough. It was set at 50 and should be up to around 95. Bingo, that solved the problem. Here is a photo from last night of a dirty license plate that someone sprayed a substance on to be non-reflective. The plate number is 6SGH665.

06242024 LPD Dirty License Plate.jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me add to the above post. So, maybe with the brighter LED street lighting and depending on your situation one may need to up their HLC to cut back on the light reflection for LPR cameras. Just pondering about what happened to me.

Last edited:

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Don't look back

View attachment 197121
No offense at all. I don't know everything in the world. lol..
But in this case you would be incorrect. This camera is capturing plates that my b&w cameras don't, namely the new 3m plates.

Hence, I'll keep it running color 24/7. Though I don't mind making adjustments. I'm going to try HLC and see what happens with that. Right now I'm running HLC on 0, so we shall see. Didn't think about it until Parley stated raising his. Though I'm not sure if it's the same with color 24/7 vs b&w.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would like to try the newer ITC431-RW1F-IRL8 though, 10-50 zoom, though it is $800+.
If I replaced my 437 with a new ANPR, I'd need it to reach out to about 80 feet, or if I went the other direction I would need at least 90'.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Between my own and 4 others I manage I’ve yet to see a 3m printed plate here in Florida. Of course it’s possible I missed one but I capture 300-400 per day.
3 of those cameras have reasonable light and I’m able to see regular paper temp plates quite well with 5241Z-12s - and enough light. IR or white as needed.

I guess you guys are seeing a lot of them?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^your Governor probably wants to keep the inmates busy stamping plates instead of selling out to 3M lol.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Between my own and 4 others I manage I’ve yet to see a 3m printed plate here in Florida. Of course it’s possible I missed one but I capture 300-400 per day.
3 of those cameras have reasonable light and I’m able to see regular paper temp plates quite well with 5241Z-12s - and enough light. IR or white as needed.

I guess you guys are seeing a lot of them?
A lot? I'm really not sure. I mainly look at the 437 pictures in the NVR real quick, or to search for a suspicious plate. Law enforcement, fire and ambulances all use the new 3m plates. I'll start paying attention at night more and see if I can grab a few examples.
They seem to be really hit or miss, but they are around. Which is the main reason I'd like to get the new 431.... so much easier to look things up, then be able to check other cameras based on the time frame.

Lately I've been getting more neighbors asking for help. I always ask, time frame? The usual response is, sometime during the night. Like come on :banghead: Give me something to go on. I've been telling people that if they're not going to put up real cameras, at least put up a doorbell cam or another wireless that they can search/fast forward to give an accurate time frame.

The other reason for color is that it seems quite a few people are starting to use a cover or spray on the plates. That messes with things quite a bit as well.
I'm going to put up my old 5442 to cover the T intersection, and later this year I most likely will get the newer 431.

With the newer 431, I do have a place that would give me double coverage of the 52ir, so the 431 would be in b&w while the 52ir remains in color. It may seem confusing, but there is a reason for the madness. lol :D

But it's all good. Give as many tips/questions/help as everyone can. I'll try things out, if it helps then great, if not... I change it back.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
About HCL from the Dahua website.

HLC

• Highlight compensation is a feature that came out of necessity due to overexposure from strong light sources like headlights or spotlights. This feature senses strong sources of light in video and compensates for exposure on these spots to enhance the overall quality. HLC is very helpful in preventing blinding of security cameras at night time from headlights. License plate readability is a feature nearly everyone wants and expects from their security cameras placed in parking lots and entry points. Without HLC this is something that is simply impossible due to the bright, glaring nature of headlights.
Wdr wiki 5.jpg

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Eventful weekend, unfortunately. An attempted car jacking just around the corner, and 5 Kia vehicles all stolen within a couple hours by the same group of individuals.

All were wearing hoodies and ski masks. They're definitely upping their game around here.
I'm going to put up more cameras in the coming months. Going to concentrate on close up around my house by adding 4 more cameras for the 0-20 feet range.

Also going to be putting up more long range cameras. 2 are going to be LPR/ANPR cameras. Deciding whether to get a couple 5442 or 1 of the new 431 ANPR that has the 10-50mm lens. I really like having the plate, etc.. show up when capturing pictures, but I could get 3 of the 5442 for the price of 1 of the 431. The 5442 would also show up as a pic on the Dahua NVR, just wouldn't have the plate number for easier searching.

Then I want a couple cameras strictly for identifying in the 40-80 feet range. Which would give me the best capture 24/7? Mainly looking for face identity.

On top of all this, I'm still attempting to get my city council to put in a new street light across the street from me. I'm arguing for crime prevention, etc.. the council is on my side, the city is saying no because there is already a light 50 feet away.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly why I bought a Z4 to focus purely on faces on the street in addition to my close in coverage.

Tired of getting great coverage up close and not being able to ID a face 50ft out on the street.

My Normal view 5442H-ZHE - Primary role is to watch over the Jeep
View attachment Home_ch2_20240526144235_20240526144243.mp4

Added Z4 for street
1-Home_Street-5442-Z4-S3_main_20240526144240_@5.jpg

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, definitely going to put up more cameras to identify people on my sidewalk, mailbox, etc...
Going to purchase another Dahua NVR as well.

I know, I know.. BI... lol.. I'm not going that route. I just don't want to mess with another system, hardware, etc.. at this point in time.

Dahua has a 24 poe NVR, unfortunately @EMPIRETECANDY states it's not available to be purchased in the USA, he also says the 5 series XI isn't available to be purchased either.
So I'm debating between the 5432 and the 6 series XI

If I go the 6 series XI route I'm wondering if you couldn't run the ethernet straight to the NVR, then use the 2nd port for the POE switches?