LPR Success - Or Was It?

Reaction score
Last night I was checking out our subdivision's Facebook page. There was a post about a porch pirate nabbing some packages at a house in the NE corner of the subdivision, a few streets over from me. A tale of woe from the lady stating that someone in an old red car had snatched some packages from her front porch and her Ring doorbell cam never had alerted her and she was home at the time. She said her daughter had just arrived home as the perp was leaving and she got a good look at the guy and the car but no plate. Since she said it was an older red car, I thought I would look at my cams around that time and see if a car came by that might match that description. We do not get many red cars, mostly white, black, silver or grey, but few red ones.

Sure enough, I spot this 2009 Kia Rio driving by from the direction of that part of the neighborhood.
LPR East 2023-12-08 03.39.46.6 PM.jpg

So I send her the pic with the plate blocked out via a PM and ask her if this is the car. I told her if it was, I can send her the plate.
red car 2023-12-7.jpg

She sends back a note saying yes, that her daughter said it is. So I send back a note with the plate number and a rear view since it has a unique sticker on the back.
LPR West 2023-12-08 03.39.52.532 PM.jpg

But then she sends me a note saying that they were pretty sure it is the same car. I panic and say that she needs to be very sure. I tell her that I cannot say this is the car that stole from her, it is just a car that drove by my house around the time of her theft. I tell her that the black trim is unique and maybe one of her neighbors can spot it on their cams? About ten minutes later she states that a neighbor says that looks like the car. She also mentions that at first her daughter though the guy was delivering the packages, but then realized he was taking them.

We carry on a conversation for a while as she whines about losing Xmas presents that are now too late to reorder. That it was so bad that someone would do this at Xmas and she will probably not get them back. I tell her to call the Constables and give them the info I gave her and that they can contact me if they need more info. I also gave her the contact info for the Deputy that usually asks me for video. She thanks me for my help and I tell her that I really do not like thieves, so I am happy to help.

Around 1pm today I am at my computer and I see someone delivering a package that I am expecting:
Front Door Right High 2023-12-09 01.04.15.391 PM.jpg

The first thing I notice is that the car is the one from yesterday. Oh crap! He is a seasonal delivery person for UPS! Yep, that is the same car!
LPR West 2023-12-09 01.04.55.988 PM.jpg

What are the odds? I immediately send the lady a note telling her that I just got a package from him and I hope she had not yet called the Constables office. Luckily, she had not.

I always say I do not believe in coincidences, but here you are. Really, what are the odds that I would ID this car as a possible porch pirate and the very next day he delivers to me? I have gotten about 6-7 UPS deliveries in the past two weeks and all have been by marked UPS trucks. Never an independent driver using their own car.

One more thing: I had originally posted the pic with the blocked out front plate to her FB post asking if it was that car. But I deleted that post in about 30 seconds as I had a bad feeling about it. Like what if it is not the right car, and I really do not want others in the hood knowing what my cams can see.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While that is likely the case, we have seen delivery people take a package when delivering.

But yeah she needs better cameras, especially if the Ring doorbell never triggered for people at the door!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
In that first group of 3 pics, looks like the passenger side door isnt shut completely, due to the big hunking box in the front passenger seat!
Really, would he be delivering that size box? Ask the lady if it was a big ass box.

I understand your spot, but I'm betting $100 of @wittaj 's money that the delivery guy is moonlighting as a thief :p

Last edited:

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last night I was checking out our subdivision's Facebook page. There was a post about a porch pirate nabbing some packages at a house in the NE corner of the subdivision, a few streets over from me. A tale of woe from the lady stating that someone in an old red car had snatched some packages from her front porch and her Ring doorbell cam never had alerted her and she was home at the time. She said her daughter had just arrived home as the perp was leaving and she got a good look at the guy and the car but no plate. Since she said it was an older red car, I thought I would look at my cams around that time and see if a car came by that might match that description. We do not get many red cars, mostly white, black, silver or grey, but few red ones.

Sure enough, I spot this 2009 Kia Rio driving by from the direction of that part of the neighborhood.
View attachment 179697

So I send her the pic with the plate blocked out via a PM and ask her if this is the car. I told her if it was, I can send her the plate.
View attachment 179700

She sends back a note saying yes, that her daughter said it is. So I send back a note with the plate number and a rear view since it has a unique sticker on the back.
View attachment 179698

But then she sends me a note saying that they were pretty sure it is the same car. I panic and say that she needs to be very sure. I tell her that I cannot say this is the car that stole from her, it is just a car that drove by my house around the time of her theft. I tell her that the black trim is unique and maybe one of her neighbors can spot it on their cams? About ten minutes later she states that a neighbor says that looks like the car. She also mentions that at first her daughter though the guy was delivering the packages, but then realized he was taking them.

We carry on a conversation for a while as she whines about losing Xmas presents that are now too late to reorder. That it was so bad that someone would do this at Xmas and she will probably not get them back. I tell her to call the Constables and give them the info I gave her and that they can contact me if they need more info. I also gave her the contact info for the Deputy that usually asks me for video. She thanks me for my help and I tell her that I really do not like thieves, so I am happy to help.

Around 1pm today I am at my computer and I see someone delivering a package that I am expecting:
View attachment 179696

The first thing I notice is that the car is the one from yesterday. Oh crap! He is a seasonal delivery person for UPS! Yep, that is the same car!
View attachment 179699

What are the odds? I immediately send the lady a note telling her that I just got a package from him and I hope she had not yet called the Constables office. Luckily, she had not.

I always say I do not believe in coincidences, but here you are. Really, what are the odds that I would ID this car as a possible porch pirate and the very next day he delivers to me? I have gotten about 6-7 UPS deliveries in the past two weeks and all have been by marked UPS trucks. Never an independent driver using their own car.

One more thing: I had originally posted the pic with the blocked out front plate to her FB post asking if it was that car. But I deleted that post in about 30 seconds as I had a bad feeling about it. Like what if it is not the right car, and I really do not want others in the hood knowing what my cams can see.
Constables office, :lmao:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In that first group of 3 pics, looks like the passenger side door isnt shut completely, due to the big hunking box in the front passenger seat!
Really, would he be delivering that size box? Ask the lady if it was a big ass box.

I understand your spot, but I'm betting $100 of @wittaj 's money that the delivery guy is moonlighting as a thief :p
Yeah it sucks that we have to be skeptical, but unfortunately I have seen too many news stories and videos of a delivery person taking stuff. Sometimes the stuff they delivered - snap the picture and then pick it right back up.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I had something similar happen. A while back some people got their catalytic converters stolen around 3AM. It occurred around the corner from me, so the car did not drive by my cameras. However, I could see the car turn the corner and go up their street. Someone had a camera of some sorts and he could see the people and car, so they knew the time. The quality of his video is not that good. So, I am looking at my cameras to see what I could come up with and I see a car driving around about the same time going up and down streets and slowing down. Acting very suspicious IMHO. Of course, I got the license plate number and a description of the vehicle. Later on, I looked at more video from some other cameras and it turns out this person was delivering the daily newspapers.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had something similar happen. A while back some people got their catalytic converters stolen around 3AM. It occurred around the corner from me, so the car did not drive by my cameras. However, I could see the car turn the corner and go up their street. Someone had a camera of some sorts and he could see the people and car, so they knew the time. The quality of his video is not that good. So, I am looking at my cameras to see what I could come up with and I see a car driving around about the same time going up and down streets and slowing down. Acting very suspicious IMHO. Of course, I got the license plate number and a description of the vehicle. Later on, I looked at more video from some other cameras and it turns out this person was delivering the daily newspapers.
Yep a new paper delivery person has caught me a few times doing this too LOL.

Better safe than sorry.

Reaction score
it turns out this person was delivering the daily newspapers
When I first set up cams there was a door checker that came through and a car came through about the same time. I thought it might be the guys ride. It turns out it is the newspaper delivery guy. One of the neighbors on Nextdoor knew him. I see him every day at about 3:15 am for the last 4 years.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of newspaper delivery people, too funny not to share - turn up volume LOL.

So as I was checking out the clips from overnight, all I get first is audio as the car was going slow and not in frame yet, so at first I thought it was someone that stole a package and it was a box of poop or something, but apparently the person that wrapped the newspapers together did it too tight and he couldn't get them out LOL

View attachment paper deliveryBW.mp4

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Speaking of newspaper delivery people, too funny not to share - turn up volume LOL.

So as I was checking out the clips from overnight, all I get first is audio as the car was going slow and not in frame yet, so at first I thought it was someone that stole a package and it was a box of poop or something, but apparently the person that wrapped the newspapers together did it too tight and he couldn't get them out LOL

View attachment 179727

They still deliver newspapers :oops:
:lol::winktongue::rofl::lmao: