LTS (Hikvision) LTN8916-P16 4K NVR

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perfect timing, I was going to place an order with the older NVR this week. Frankie, check your PMs. :)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got to love the complete BS marketing there. Half of those videos aren't from a 4K camera I bet. And how come I don't have a tachometer on my DS-7608 with it bouncing off 80MBps? Time to complain to Hikvision.

The funny thing is, I actually think the product is good enough not to need that crap.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got to love the complete BS marketing there. Half of those videos aren't from a 4K camera I bet. And how come I don't have a tachometer on my DS-7608 with it bouncing off 80MBps? Time to complain to Hikvision.

The funny thing is, I actually think the product is good enough not to need that crap.
I want to say the tach is just dramatization. At least I hope so.

Last edited by a moderator:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is "H.264 Zip" compression?...Why no H.265 support esp for using 4K which would be more industry standard going forward as I understand it?

Anyone have experience \ reviews of video from 4K cameras yet?

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The specs do say "H.265 Ready," whatever that means. Presumably it means it's coming in a firmware update, or maybe a paid update. (Does LTS ever do that?)

techoguy

n3wb
Reaction score
To me the best part of that NVR isn't so much that it supports 4K cameras as that the HDMI output supports 4K which means you can view 4 1080p camera streams at once at their natural resolution.
@nbstl68
H.264 "Zip" is Hikvision's H.264+ and other have a different name but ultimately it's reduces the bandwidth and storage requirements by nearly half similar to H.265.

Here's a white paper: http://oversea-download.hikvision.com/UploadFile/file/Hikvision_H.264plus_V1.0_20151029.pdf

From what I hear, the main reason H.265 is slow to enter the USA is because the developers of H.265 have decided they are charging companies to use the standard while H.264 was always open and free.

It is a bit confusing though as Hikvision themselves support H.264+ in the USA today and have the H.265 in China now but will release H.265 in the USA soon I'm sure. Either way it's just going to cause lots of confusion for customers and a lot of upset people when they realize the new standard isn't compatible with their equipment.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wonder if H.265 can be added to existing cams with a simple firmware release or if there is a hardware dependency.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I find it odd that when I Google "H.264+" or "H.264 Plus" I come up with basically nothing...
All I find is either information and explanations of H.264 or H.265.

Is H.264+ an actual video compression standard or just something made up in China for these NVRs?...Or am I just not searching the term properly?

I'd assume if it were proprietary there would be big compatibility issues across mfg cameras, NVRs etc.

Is This something that could eventually be updated with firmware or is hardware involved with an eventual jump to H.265 compression?

How does their "H.264+" compare to the true H.265?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OP let us know how it is when you get it. I need a new nvr :)

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll have one Thursday but it's my first NVR so I won't be able to give any insightful commentary.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone buy \ using one of these 4k NVRs (or 4K cameras) yet to be able to provide some initial feedback or reviews?

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So far, so good. I haven't had any issues with the unit other than a one-time GUI lockup... In Playback mode it froze up, but recovered after a few minutes. (It was still recording and serving web pages during that time.) My main complaint is the poor quality of the web access to the unit, particularly on a Mac where I often see scrambled video. On Windows, it seems to be fine, though you have to use Firefox.

I haven't really wrung it out with a lot of high-bandwidth cameras. I have 8 cameras connected now and after optimizing their settings for a good compromise of image quality and recording time, the incoming bandwidth is only 51Mbps. I think the unit can handle 160, so it is lightly loaded. But, I wanted room to grow, and I have it.

Bottom line, no regrets. It is the reliable "appliance" that I wanted.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone buy \ using one of these 4k NVRs (or 4K cameras) yet to be able to provide some initial feedback or reviews?
I am using a higher version of this nvr..9600 series from hikvision. and 8MP zoom lens. you can use dual HDMI output with two different screens. as far as the 4k camera. I would not buy it for 1200$(I paid 500).

Reaction score
The only complaint that I have is the small LOUD OBNOXIOUS cooling fan that they are using!!!! I wish they would have an option to add an aftermarket 80mm or even 120mm fan in the top of the case, which would allow eliminating the small fan. Then it would be possible to locate the unit near the customers (home installations) main Television.

Bdme1

n3wb
Reaction score
Question in regard to my 8916-P16. I have 4.1MP 6mm fixed turrets and wanted to try to adjust to reduce night motion blur. I see settings for brightness, contrast, and saturation. But no advanced camera settings such as gain, WDR settings, exposure time, etc, etc. How would I access these more advanced camera settings? Right now I'm only using the NVR with mouse, no PC connect.

Thanks