LTS/Hikvision POE Gone Bad

jrfuda

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision OEM POE Gone Bad

I have 12 HikVision OEM Cameras 5 dome, 7 bullet. They've been on the bench for a little over 3 weeks connected to my POE switch and working fine for the most part. I'm still pulling wire and am mostly making sure everything is working, especially the switch (PowerConnect 3424P) since it's an eBay special. Everything was fine into about 10 days ago when video on one of the dome cameras changed to a green block. It still had an IP and everything else. Having never used the cameras before, I took the cover off and noticed the desiccant packet inside (did not know that was in there) and removed it... still video problems. I then disconnected and reconnected the ribbon cable from the lens assembly to the circuit board. After this it worked.

Last night another camera was offline completely. I looked at the network switch's POE page and it said the port that camera was on had a POE fault with, more detail showed "overload" as the reason for the fault, with overload meaning it was drawing more than it should according to the help file. I power cycled the camera several times and it continued. I then used a POE splitter, powered by the same port of the POE switch, but now using the splitter to connect power to the camera's power lead instead of directly via POE and the camera worked again. I ran out of time and never pulled the cover off to do the ribbon cable shuffle that previously worked. I'm pretty sure this is not the same camera that had the video problem previously, as I tilted the lens on that camera and this problematic camera still points straight up.

In the meantime. Has anyone seen either of these problems on Hikvision cameras before? I'm concerned that of the 5 x domes I have, I've had an issue with 2 of them in less than 30 days. The bullets have not missed a beat.

Last edited by a moderator:

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So are you saying you have an LTS POE NVR or are you using a EBAY special POE switch?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If the camera is bad, I would just contact milkisbad on here and do a RMA.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First things first. Take the POE switch (Powerconnect 3424P) completely out of the equation by using a POE injector, power supply, or another POE switch. If you're having simultaneous issues with multiple cameras odds are it's not the cameras but something else.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Re: POE Gone Bad

I have 12 HikVision Cameras 5 dome, 7 bullet. They've been on the bench for a little over 3 weeks connected to my POE switch and working fine for the most part. I'm still pulling wire and am mostly making sure everything is working, especially the switch (PowerConnect 3424P) since it's an eBay special. Everything was fine into about 10 days ago when video on one of the dome cameras changed to a green block. It still had an IP and everything else. Having never used the cameras before, I took the cover off and noticed the desiccant packet inside (did not know that was in there) and removed it... still video problems. I then disconnected and reconnected the ribbon cable from the lens assembly to the circuit board. After this it worked.

Last night another camera was offline completely. I looked at the network switch's POE page and it said the port that camera was on had a POE fault with, more detail showed "overload" as the reason for the fault, with overload meaning it was drawing more than it should according to the help file. I power cycled the camera several times and it continued. I then used a POE splitter, powered by the same port of the POE switch, but now using the splitter to connect power to the camera's power lead instead of directly via POE and the camera worked again. I ran out of time and never pulled the cover off to do the ribbon cable shuffle that previously worked. I'm pretty sure this is not the same camera that had the video problem previously, as I tilted the lens on that camera and this problematic camera still points straight up.

In the meantime. Has anyone seen either of these problems on Hikvision cameras before? I'm concerned that of the 5 x domes I have, I've had an issue with 2 of them in less than 30 days. The bullets have not missed a beat.
What model of NVR do you have? If you have a POE NVR connect the cameras directly to your NVR, NOT a switch, and see if it comes back online. Also these cameras pull very little power, there should be no case for an "overload" unless your switch is crap as with IR on I believe that camera pulls like 5.2W. Anything is possible but mult cam failures I find unlikely. Also assure you're not having any IP conflicts, but honestly this sounds like a switch issue.

Also as a side note: Don't remove those desiccant packets - those have a purpose :)

Also, just FYI, LTS RMA process is QUICK and EASY. RMA number received, ship product to them, they receive product and ship replacement same day. Super simple and quick.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrfuda

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR is a non-POE model, so the cameras are powered by the switch.

I'll try swapping in the power injector I have and see if the camera runs from it.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Buy a 4 port poe switch and try that cor a while. They are under $50 on amazon. I doubt it's the cameras. I've yet to have a bad one and I've installed plenty

jrfuda

n3wb
Reaction score
SOLVED POE Gone Bad

It's working fine using a tp link poe injector without the splitter, so it appears it is an issue with the switch. Funny thing is the other 11 cameras, my ubiquiti APs and cloudkey are all fine, and trying any of the 10 empty ports on the switch all result in the same "overload" warning from the switch. Good thing the switch was only $70 shipped.

The rest of my networking hardware (router, switches, APs) is all ubiquiti and I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade that one last piece, so maybe I'll do that eventually. For now the spare injector I had seems to be working.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is it a managed switch? My managed did that until I changel the poe requirements

jrfuda

n3wb
Reaction score
SOLVED Hikvision OEM POE Gone Bad

Is it a managed switch? My managed did that until I changel the poe requirements
The only settings the switch have are "auto" and "never" for if POE is applied and a priority, for low/high/critical, which offloads power if the switch hits a globally defined percentage of it's total power (currently set at 95% with 370 watts available and only 61 being used with 14 devices connected, and lamps on all 12 cameras -- it's dark in the test bench room) so there is a considerable surplus of power.

That said, after running the camera on the POE injector for about an hour, I disconnected it and reconnected it to its original port and IT WORKED. Go figure. We'll see how it does over the coming weeks. Hopefully the old switch will continue to play nice and I can save my money for something else.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe try a different port if it continues

Vadski

n3wb
Reaction score
Just use a methodical approach of elimination. Replicate the problem first then swap/modify/replace factors until you find a fix. Sometimes its as simple as a poorly crimped rj45.