LUX Not finding any info on LUX ,

Reaction score
I am looking at Starlight Cameras, and somehow not sinking in, which spec.? eg. a 1 LUX or a .05, which is able to record with better results, seem the more costly one are 1 and the cheaper are the .0?? ones, cant find a explanation or knowledge builder on this LUX issue Thanks

Reaction score
If you have a minute look at the Dahua seems like the Starlight+ less than the ECOSavvy so the .05 is better than the 1 read wiki and not making sense. thanks

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Be careful about how you use lux ratings in making product decisions. Our testing shows that comparing lux ratings of cameras across different manufacturers cannot be trusted, since each manufacturer uses its own approach, scale, technique to setting a lux / minimum illumination level. So you can generally trust that Dahua camera A with a lux / minimum illumination level of 0.001 is better in low light than a Dahua camera B with a 0.05 but it does not mean it is necessarily better against a Hikvision or an Axis with say a 0.005, etc.

Reaction score
Be careful about how you use lux ratings in making product decisions. Our testing shows that comparing lux ratings of cameras across different manufacturers cannot be trusted, since each manufacturer uses its own approach, scale, technique to setting a lux / minimum illumination level. So you can generally trust that Dahua camera A with a lux / minimum illumination level of 0.001 is better in low light than a Dahua camera B with a 0.05 but it does not mean it is necessarily better against a Hikvision or an Axis with say a 0.005, etc.
I am only in the Dahua market, and am getting a idea on this, checking specs, seems a 0.000 is the best, as it seems the nite color is there, and the most $, so think I have got my answer, thanks got me steered right

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
So 0.000 or 0 means / implies the rating is based on the IR illuminator on. Otherwise, it should be a number greater than 0 as the camera will need some amount of light.

Also, and I don't think this is a concern for you, but for others reading this, if you ever actually measure the lux level in your own scene, you will see that the ratings that Dahua and many others give are not realistic, i.e., it might be listed at 0.0005 but the image is very poor at a real-world measured 0.1 lux.