Mac user; want single, simple PTZ camera

dtgriscom

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, all. I do software/hardware development in my one-room office. Much of my work I can do remotely (screen sharing and the like), but sometimes I need to actually see the hardware in my office to do work. For example, I'm currently working on a circuit board with a "Success" LED, and I won't know I've succeeded on a task until that physical LED lights.

I'm looking for a good resolution PTZ IP camera that I could control remotely to zoom in on that darn LED, or whatever else I want to look at in my office. I don't need (and actually don't want) cloud services, and can't think of why I'd want to automatically capture video. I can pay for what I need, but I don't want to have to buy a subscription, as I avoid products that install hoses into my wallet. I'm technically proficient, and can set up networking and software however necessary. But, there are so many camera choices, and it's hard to find one that will work via a Mac browser or application. (If necessary I do have Win10 running under VMWare Fusion, but that's an extra step I'd rather not take.)

Some products I'm considering (without a lot of knowledge):

- YI Dome Camera: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CW4BN5M
- Foscam IP camera: https://www.amazon.com/Foscam-Security-Surveillance-Detection-Available/dp/B07DJ5RSTM
- DCComplex' IP Camera Viewer: IP Camera Viewer
- Smart PSS

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, all. I do software/hardware development in my one-room office. Much of my work I can do remotely (screen sharing and the like), but sometimes I need to actually see the hardware in my office to do work. For example, I'm currently working on a circuit board with a "Success" LED, and I won't know I've succeeded on a task until that physical LED lights.

I'm looking for a good resolution PTZ IP camera that I could control remotely to zoom in on that darn LED, or whatever else I want to look at in my office. I don't need (and actually don't want) cloud services, and can't think of why I'd want to automatically capture video. I can pay for what I need, but I don't want to have to buy a subscription, as I avoid products that install hoses into my wallet. I'm technically proficient, and can set up networking and software however necessary. But, there are so many camera choices, and it's hard to find one that will work via a Mac browser or application. (If necessary I do have Win10 running under VMWare Fusion, but that's an extra step I'd rather not take.)

Some products I'm considering (without a lot of knowledge):

- YI Dome Camera: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CW4BN5M
- Foscam IP camera: https://www.amazon.com/Foscam-Security-Surveillance-Detection-Available/dp/B07DJ5RSTM
- DCComplex' IP Camera Viewer: IP Camera Viewer
- Smart PSS

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan
Hi Dan,

Do you really need a PTZ? Most indoor cameras which people think are PTZ are really PT( and no Z ).. perhaps the seller / vendor is claiming Z - but they back pedal and call it "digital" zoom...

If you can use a fixed FOV camera ( non-PTZ ) then you don't need to worry about needing to control the PTZ operations.

Since you want live view - perhaps a 3rd party app which works well for the Mac would be useful?

dtgriscom

n3wb
Reaction score
Truth be told, a fixed-everything camera would be passable, as much of the time I could aim it while I was still in the office. But, pan/tilt would be very useful, and zoom (real analog zoom, or digital zoom if the underlying resolution were high enough) would be ever better, as I could then choose what I was looking at and focusing on while out of the office.

In terms of software, I don't need anything more powerful than the default browser interface that most of these cameras have, assuming they work with my Mac browsers, which many (most?) won't. I'm OK using an application; I tried IPCameraViewer, and it seemed OK, but I couldn't get PTZ working with a Dahua demo camera I found on the web.

(If it matters, WiFi connectivity would be handy, but wired Ethernet is also fine.)

Thanks,
Dan

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Truth be told, a fixed-everything camera would be passable, as much of the time I could aim it while I was still in the office. But, pan/tilt would be very useful, and zoom (real analog zoom, or digital zoom if the underlying resolution were high enough) would be ever better, as I could then choose what I was looking at and focusing on while out of the office.

In terms of software, I don't need anything more powerful than the default browser interface that most of these cameras have, assuming they work with my Mac browsers, which many (most?) won't. I'm OK using an application; I tried IPCameraViewer, and it seemed OK, but I couldn't get PTZ working with a Dahua demo camera I found on the web.

(If it matters, WiFi connectivity would be handy, but wired Ethernet is also fine.)

Thanks,
Dan
Maybe one of those indoor rated Amcrest PT cameras? ( like the IP2M-841 )

I recall seeing a deal during Amazon Prime day - looked like the photo showed an alarm port in the back... which you maybe able to use w/the circuit board?

See the picture of the silver one... states "alarm" on the back by what appears to be 4 holes for alarm wires. https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-1920TVL-Security-Wireless-IP2M-841B/dp/B01FEEKB7I?th=1

dtgriscom

n3wb
Reaction score
Excellent advice. I tried their live demos (you have to sign up for their email at Live Demo to get the list of devices), and installed the Google Chrome Web App, and it works just fine (although the "select area to zoom" function doesn't work; where you drag is a long way from where the zoom rectangle appears). So, it's on order.

Many thanks,
Dan