Macro Text Overlay Size Keeps Changing

AKE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm working on integrating my verifone Topaz POS register with blue iris. The ideas is that once a cashier rings up an item, I can overlay the register output over the camera feed. So far I have been able to capture the text over an RS-232 com port and wrote a python script that listens for incoming data and writes the data to a txt file. This file is linked with blueiris via macros and displays the register output for the given transaction.

My problem is the overlay resizing that blueiris uses causes the text to keep changing size as more items are added to a register queue. I have attached a picture below with 1 item and with multiple items. Notice how the scaling changes. I have tries resizing the overlay box with static text, but it keeps changing size with every new line.

Code:
            20 OZ PEPSI   1        1.79
             .10 DEP               0.10
             20 OZ COKE   1        1.79
ID CHECK SKIPPED
T            COPENHAGEN   1        5.87
                      TOTAL       10.00
                       CASH       10.00
Can anyone help me find a work around or a way to expand the functionality of BI to keep the overlay size static?

As a side not, the overlay data is not recorded to the DVR and can only be view via live stream. Any way to make it record the text?

1 item.png 3 items.png

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm working on integrating my verifone Topaz POS register with blue iris. The ideas is that once a cashier rings up an item, I can overlay the register output over the camera feed. So far I have been able to capture the text over an RS-232 com port and wrote a python script that listens for incoming data and writes the data to a txt file. This file is linked with blueiris via macros and displays the register output for the given transaction.

My problem is the overlay resizing that blueiris uses causes the text to keep changing size as more items are added to a register queue. I have attached a picture below with 1 item and with multiple items. Notice how the scaling changes. I have tries resizing the overlay box with static text, but it keeps changing size with every new line.

Code:
            20 OZ PEPSI   1        1.79
             20 OZ COKE   1        1.79
ID CHECK SKIPPED
T            COPENHAGEN   1        5.87
                      TOTAL       10.00
                       CASH       10.00
Can anyone help me find a work around or a way to expand the functionality of BI to keep the overlay size static?

As a side not, the overlay data is not recorded to the DVR and can only be view via live stream. Any way to make it record the text?

View attachment 31895 View attachment 31896
not sure about sizing, email support. To record the overlay, disable direct to disk.

AKE

n3wb
Reaction score
not sure about sizing, email support. To record the overlay, disable direct to disk.
I have contacted support with regards to the scaling issue. Thanks for the quick fix on the direct to disk option, it seems to record the overlay on the clips now.

AKE

n3wb
Reaction score
Ken has pushed an update that allows you to toggle text resizing in the overlay editor page. The text size is now static regardless of how much there it's.

Akeid/Blue-Iris-POS-Transaction-Overlay

Code for the overlay is above. I'll try to write up a better tutorial when the time permits. Hopefully someone will find this helpful. Don't pay $400 for those out of date analog overlay encoders, you have the tools to do it yourself here.

Last edited: