Mail theft gang

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
currently going through the exact same thing with scumbags...got a locking box but they are crow-barring a whole row of 4 boxes, even in broad daylight...Super Bowl day morning they got us!....gonna maybe upgrade all to that Epoch mailbox on Amazon..would be great to get this sensor installed inside
the box...has anyone hooked it up wirelessly?....I already have a lot of homekit, Hue bulbs, Wemo stuff, Lutron Caseta lights, Alexa stuff...didn't really wanna add Smartthings to this mess...any way
to incorporate one of these sensor devices to my existing myriad of hubs?...would ideally like the sensor to trigger Blueiris when the box is opened, and my PTZ 49225 zooms right in on them...what do you think?
The problem you'll run into with putting a wireless sensor inside the metal mailbox is its going to block the sensor signal. I had that problem when I wired up my mailbox sensor.

Do you have a means of getting sensor inputs into Blue Iris (ie using one of the serial inputs they recommend)? If so, then any kind of sensor you could wire up to that would work well. Sounds like it would be a perfect use for a PTZ camera. Have it zoom right into the box in that instance.

I ended up installing a MailBox mailbox: http://a.co/idF8e4O
Its quite heavy weight. Not as overkill as the Fort Knox mailbox, but it looks like it should be a lot more resistant to prying open than the average Home Depot box.
I kept the door sensor on the mailbox, except I have it set up to tell me when the mail slot opens and mail is delivered. I am not monitoring the locked door, so I guess someone could pry that and I wouldn't know.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've seen faux landscape boulders that are hollow on the inside, something like this Fake Landscape Rocks
Those would work pretty well.

You can also make your own landscape boulders pretty cheaply. I used fiber reinforced topping cement and metal lath screening to make a hollow column fountain for my back yard. The metal screening is easy to bend into whatever shape you want and then you just coat with the cement and paint with concrete colorants to make it look nicer. I think you could easily make a DIY rock with hidden camera using this technique.

upload_2018-2-9_8-19-55.png

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep. I wasted a few hours watching various "bait" videos, too! I was laughing out loud, for sure!

Eventually, though, I began to wonder why some of these pranksters haven't been slapped with civil actions for purposly causing injuries, and criminal charges for setting a "man trap", kidnapping for trapping a guy in a box van, etc. Their own footage would convict them easily.

So as satisfying (and easy) as it would be to rig up some "instant justice" to my mailbox, and as hilarious as the resulting footage might be, I wouldn't do it myself.

I wouldn't likely miss most of my junk mail if it got stolen, but we do receive a lot of smaller packages these days with the USPS doing the final deliveries. And identity thieves may well find a lot of good information by going through a person's mail.

So I would like to think that the postmaster would be quite interested in pursuing a case like this.

But it really is hard to get court-worthy footage at night, and at a distance.

Heck, at the distances from my front eave to the street, with 4MP, approximately 80 degree field of view cameras, unless the car drives up perpendicular to the street, aimed right at my house, I'm afraid reliable license plate ID is not going to happen, even in good daylight. The resolution just isn't there. And at night, it isn't even close.

So I'm enjoying this forum's recommendations for camera setups that can yield solid face ID and/or license plate images, especially at night. It's not as easy of a task as one might wish it was.

As a photographer (at times, professionally) for over 50 years, I've always been amused at the Hollywood/TV fantasizes of "enhancing" crummy video surveillance cam footage. If the data isn't there, you can't create it out of thin air... Something everyone on these forums understands very well.

To cover a wide area and get the high resolution required, especially in adverse lighting, is just plain expensive! The answer in this mailbox scenario is, as has been recommended, to concentrate at least one camera and light source right at the zone of interest. So in this case, it really is practical to get good face images because you have a situation where you know right where the perp will have to be. But a savvy thief can still avoid ID with very simple disguise techniques. The old ski mask and hoodie, for a few dollars, is all that would be reqired.

And capturing a readable license plate will be difficult if they're parking in one random place and then raiding the mailboxes on foot from there.

Again, you need a "pinch point" that vehicles must pass through, where you can locate your license plate camera. Of course, this isn't always practical.

Fun thread, everyone. Now off to watch more of the "sharter" videos. One thing leads to another on YouTube, doesn't it? ;)

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
My daughter told me yesterday about someone going down the street, and opening every mailbox on the street, luckily it happened right before the mailman came.
This made me look at this article, now I need to show this to her.
Glad I spotted this article.