Mailbox alarm

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We periodically discuss ways to trigger an alert when a mailbox is opened. I saw this about a LoRa PIR sensor that sits inside the box and sends a signal when the door opens:

If the link goes cold, try searching for:

PricelessToolkit's MailboxGuard

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We periodically discuss ways to trigger an alert when a mailbox is opened. I saw this about a LoRa PIR sensor that sits inside the box and sends a signal when the door opens:

If the link goes cold, try searching for:

PricelessToolkit's MailboxGuard
I understand that a LoRa Gateway is required...do you know how much one of those is?

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The article says the unit they're selling is around $46 usd. My guess is that a cheap PIR, a lipo and a LoRa could be wedded for something less if one enjoyed the tinkering.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The article says the unit they're selling is around $46 usd. My guess is that a cheap PIR, a lipo and a LoRa could be wedded for something less if one enjoyed the tinkering.
Thanks!
I'm more of a Shelly guy, they do HTTP and MQTT, no hub or gateway needed. :cool:

and

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can see the LoRa being good for long driveways. I've read they have a couple miles of reception.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry Tony, I didn't read closely enough about the LoRa gateway cost. I think they run around $80? But I really have no experience here, although I keep thinking about experimenting. I flagged the article because the topic comes up periodically, not because I actually know anything.