Mailbox Hide, Newbie Down the Rabbit Hole

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I decided that I really needed some street view cameras... long before I realized it would start me down the path to ipcams and Blue Iris.
I knew where I wanted cameras, right at the street, in the mailbox and at least somewhat hidden. I schemed about Wi-Fi and solar panels, batteries, voltage controllers, charge indicators and such, eventually deciding to commit to PoE and doing some digging (literal digging) and learning.
First, find some cams that are small, build a box.
A few pics to follow. The mailbox cam setup is my very first legit cam install with several more to follow.
Some 20ga steel, a little metal brake, a little welding:

Attachments

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While I was trenching for the mailbox, I trenched to the Northeast and Southwest corners and threw in some conduit for later. Now to make the cams fit in the itty bitty box may take some adjustment.

Attachments

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This little metal brake/shear/roller is the handiest thing...
I needed a bracket to be able to mount the V7 switch on the wall; now having the ability to make simple brackets is very satisfying.

Attachments

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First attempt at uploading clips. Nothing happening of note but shows the views available. The cam models are noted in the overlays.
These cams will not be great at night, I know, but my primary concern has historically been with daytime activity. I'll take another approach for nighttime . I may add some white lighting out front. The cams seem fairly innocuous unless the IRs are on, then there are little red-eyed monsters in the box...and that's not helpful.
View attachment Cam4.20200816_172954_1.mp4
View attachment Cam5.20200816_172829_2.mp4
View attachment Cam6.20200816_165717_2.mp4

Attachments

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ACB8A24F-92D7-49C4-A980-B9B86F4CDC7A.jpeg
Looks like a fun project, @MrSurly! Did you dig the trench with a shovel by hand? Any comments from the neighbors? :)
Hah! Note that there was a time when I literally dug ditches for a living... no, i rented a tiny little trencher (basically a dirt saw) that worked OK, but iwas itself a lot of work. (not propelled except by Old Man dragging it ).
Two neighbors were curious, when i admitted i was putting a camera for a better view of the street, they both said Thank Goodness!

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought the LP caps were good. That car was moving and if you stop the action at the right time, reading the plate was just fine.

You could decorate the box with some kind of animals that take advantage of the IR lights at night.
those caps were fantastic. i was able to do the same thing.. but way differnect when its pitch black outide and someone is driving by.

Reaction score
At night you just want to see the plate and everything else is black except the car lights. You want the shutter to be fast to freeze the plate so it does not blur. Set shutter to 1/2000 and max IR. There are other setting you can mess with, but those are the two big ones.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hah! Note that there was a time when I literally dug ditches for a living... no, i rented a tiny little trencher (basically a dirt saw) that worked OK, but iwas itself a lot of work. (not propelled except by Old Man dragging it ).
Great job!
Yeah, those powered trenchers (aka "Ditch Witch") are great., have pushed and ridden various versions...they'll also locate underground water lines, gas lines, etc. for you even if you don't want to, as you likely know! :highfive:

Great looking project, thanks for sharing.

P.S. - I hope the TX lightning is kind to you!

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually I think with just a skosh more shutter speed those might be readable and the rest (perhaps) not entirely lost.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At night you just want to see the plate and everything else is black except the car lights.
I'm not 100% set on these being dedicated LPR cams. I want to also watch over the foot-borne visitors as well. I'm looking to tweak these for a median setting that can maybe provide some of both. I will be adding light and likely other cams, too.
As for the mailbox set up, I think I will switch positions of the 2.8 cam (cam 5) with cam 6. This will provide a full-width view of the house from the 2.8 and the street could better use the 6mm, I think.
There will be other cams from the house near the door and by the cars to hopefully fill in for details.

Last edited: