Main page not showing video feeds

Boethius

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Suddenly unable to view many clips and my main page which used to show my 6 camera feeds is all black. I get the following errors popping up

DECODER_ERROR_NOT_SUPPO RTED: video decoder MEDIA_ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPOR TED

initialization failed:

Filter by:

DECODER ERROR_NOT_SUPPO

RTED: video decoder

(FFI)

!initialization failed:6:50 AM MEDIA ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPOR TED

However if I tap on the screen where a camera feed should be it will show the individual camera's stream as normal.

I haven't changed anything server or camera side, all I can think of is having updated Android. Viewing on a Pixel 5. Any ideas?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming the above error is reported when you're opening UI3 on the phone's Chrome browser, what happens when you access the same URL using Chrome on the BI server ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There's a lot of complexity these days in group video streams since by default they have a dynamic layout and they try to match the shape of the video player.

Some things to try in order to better understand the problem and possibly find workarounds:

1. Rotate the screen so that the size of the viewport changes. This should consequentially change the resolution of the group video stream and it might start working.
2. Try changing to a lower resolution via the settings gear icon in the playback controls area (bottom of video player).
3. Visit the Main menu (3 dots in upper right corner), UI Settings > Video Player > H.264 Player. By default this is set to "Automatic" and on most devices that means you get the "HTML5" player. Try "JavaScript" instead. It is less efficient, but it is generally more reliable than the "HTML5" player. The HTML5 player is very efficient but its video processing is deeply tied to the web browser, OS, video decoding hardware, and drivers, so issues are far more likely to crop up due to bugs in the system you're running UI3 on. By comparison the JavaScript player uses a software based video decoder that is shipped with UI3 and it basically never changes, so it is less likely to get broken.

(the error messages you're reporting come from UI3's HTML5 video player)

Boethius

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming the above error is reported when you're opening UI3 on the phone's Chrome browser, what happens when you access the same URL using Chrome on the BI server ?
The display works as normal when accessing via Chrome on a Windows Laptop.

Its just the phone on Chrome with issues.

I have since tested with Edge browser on the Pixel 5 and all is as expected. So seemingly a problem with the latest Chrome/Android update pairing.

Boethius

n3wb
Reaction score
Now the same errors are appearing within Edge :mad::idk:

Also seeing "protocol did not begin with blue"

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
"protocol did not begin with blue" is common on mobile devices when you return to a browser tab that has been inactive for a long time. I don't tend to see it on desktop. The error message means the video stream sent by Blue Iris was not a video stream at all, but something else (what exactly, I have no idea). UI3 usually recovers just fine on its own after that.