Main Stream Lagging and Choppy with 4MP Cams

froboy272

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 7616NI-E2 (Running Firmware 3.4.6) with 6 - 4MP 2342 Cams connected to it (Running Firmware 5.3.8)

No matter what settings I have tried and even on older firmware's the live view and playback of the main stream freezes, lags behind, and gets very choppy with any activity. Even without motion I can see the time stamp getting stuck for sometimes several seconds before jumping forward.

I was hoping that upgrading to this newer firmware would solve the issue but it hasn't. Substream runs smooth and has no issues. I have the same problem if viewed remotely or even within the same network so I assume it has nothing to do with my internet connection (which is Fios 100/100 anyway).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

montecrypto

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Hi3535 codec in your NVR can simultaneously decode five 1080p streams at 30fps. Hik's specs for the NVR say "four 1080p streams". You are loading it with six 4mp streams.

froboy272

n3wb
Reaction score
The Hi3535 codec in your NVR can simultaneously decode five 1080p streams at 30fps. Hik's specs for the NVR say "four 1080p streams". You are loading it with six 4mp streams.
Ugh, I guess I purchased an NVR that wasn't powerful enough. What can I do besides buying a new NVR. I just kind of assumed that being 16 channels it would be able to handle it...:(

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's not right. I have the same NVR and have no problems with 8x streams, combination of 2MP, 3MP, 4MP and 5MP when watching them live-view via Web-GUI.

That info is probably for live-view via a monitor.

Edit: Also Hik specs says 6x 1080p. But this is for live-view via monitor I'm sure.

froboy272

n3wb
Reaction score
That's not right. I have the same NVR and have no problems with 8x streams, combination of 2MP, 3MP, 4MP and 5MP when watching them live-view via Web-GUI.

That info is probably for live-view via a monitor.

Edit: Also Hik specs says 6x 1080p. But this is for live-view via monitor I'm sure.
what are your camera settings set to? Even if I set my 6 cams to 1080p resolution I still get the same issue.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I think you are missing one piece of information, what bitrate you are using? I had the same issue and the lower the bitrate the better performance I had, but frankly E2 is a weak NVR. I owned it briefly and upgraded to I2, much much better performance for 4MP+ cams and high bitrate

froboy272

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you are missing one piece of information, what bitrate you are using? I had the same issue and the lower the bitrate the better performance I had, but frankly E2 is a weak NVR. I owned it briefly and upgraded to I2, much much better performance for 4MP+ cams and high bitrate
At first I thought it was because I had bitrate at 16,000 but even with 6,000 I have the same issue.

How many 4MP cams do you run on the I2?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I don't have any 4MP on I2, I have single 5MP cam now which has no issue running at any bitrate, but it wasn't great on E2.

froboy272

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have any 4MP on I2, I have single 5MP cam now which has no issue running at any bitrate, but it wasn't great on E2.
maybe i'll sell my e2 and get an i. Guess I have to start comparing the HIK NVR's...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Btw, have you tried viewing streams directly in the NVR interface?

froboy272

n3wb
Reaction score
Btw, have you tried viewing streams directly in the NVR interface?
No I haven't. I will move my monitor when I get home and try it but it seems like what monte said makes sense as I read more about the NVR decoding the streams.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No I haven't. I will move my monitor when I get home and try it but it seems like what monte said makes sense as I read more about the NVR decoding the streams.
If you are viewing direct to a monitor then you should be viewing sub-stream anyway. Unless you have a 20MP monitor? Didn't think so. Output is only supported to 1080p anyway so decoding then downscaling... it's all a bit pointless.

If you view over Web-GUI you can view main-stream but I've only got 6MP worth of screen "real-estate" (to borrow a US term) so I again just use sub-stream, why tax my system? When I open each video full-screen I do switch to main-stream, then it makes sense.

Main thing - make sure you are recording main-stream in full 4MP glory.