Make and Break time

Caspy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi.. could some one please explain the Make and Break time. Im not getting it... also im not to sure about Colour+Brightness in the motion sensing section.. thx :wondering:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris has a very descriptive help file which describes all those parts. Just click the help button on any page of the configuration to read all about the options on that page.

Caspy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah the help pages are great and have been most helpfull but for these 2 topics the penny just isnt dropping so i though i would ask here for more info on them.. thx

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah the help pages are great and have been most helpfull but for these 2 topics the penny just isnt dropping so i though i would ask here for more info on them.. thx
Its simple..make time is how long motion needs to be detected before it triggers a motion event...generally 0.7 to 1 seconds is recommended.
Break time is how long the recording keeps going after all motion has stopped...20-30 seconds is a good number.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
"Colour+Brightnes"s means "normal" motion detection. This is compared to "Color only" and "Brightness only" modes.

"Color only" mode makes Blue Iris ignore changes in brightness that do not also change the color. For example on a cloudy day the brightness outside might change a lot and normally this would cause motion detection to trigger when you don't want it to. But in "Color only" mode, the motion sensor less likely to trigger because the color stays mostly the same as clouds move in front of the sun.

"Brightness only" mode is far less useful. It means that Blue Iris treats each camera frame as black and white (and gray) for the purposes of motion detection. For most real-world situations, the effect is about the same as using "Color+Brightness" mode. Nonetheless I use "Brightness only" mode in my Night profile on the offchance that it will work better than "Color+Brightness" mode. All my cameras switch to black and white mode at night anyway.