Managed vs unmanaged Poe switch?

Markgt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys- wanted to get your opinion regarding using managed vs unmanaged Poe switches? In my application, all cable runs are home run to a common location in the basement. The Poe switch will serve as the common distribution point for cameras and data throughout my house. There is a small chance that I'd use a second Poe switch on my second floor at a later time (that would connect to the basement switch). Mark

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that unmanaged will suit your needs just fine and will cost you less than a managed switch Mark.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Q is right. Overkill for most home installations that'll be monitored regularly for function/uptime by the homeowner. Cam frozen? Unplug it. Computer crashed? Reboot it. For remote installations like summer homes where you can't fix a crashed cam for 6 months when you next visit, well, remotely managed switches come in handy. It's simpler to just put in a wifi-enabled power plug so that you can remotely power cycle the whole system from your smartphone if anything needs a reboot though.