Managing Blue Iris remotely

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am running BI v5 and an BI tools on a dedicated box in my winter home controlling cameras there. Currently I am at my winter home and yesterday I was notified of an update and had to respond to allow the update. I wasn't monitoring the system at the time, so this dialog just stayed active on the screen. At some point while the dialog was open, the BI attempted to compact the database and something caused the system to hang (hard). Bi no longer recorded any events until I checked the system later in the day. I could not get task manager to come up so I could kill some processes or free the system at all. I had to shut the computer down (power switch) and repower it to get the system working properly again. I have the system configured to automatically start BI tools which then automatically starts BI. So now the questions.

1) Is there a way to have the updates for BI and BI tools to run automatically instead of popping up a dialog box since roughly half the year I an not here to respond to the dialog or barring that is there a way to disable updates until I am back at this location?
2) I also have a wifi sprinkler controller and it occasionally hangs up and I have bought a smart switch which i power it through. When it hangs up I am notified by the manufacture that the controller is no longer responding at which point I turn of the smart switch and then turn it back on and the controller begins working fine again. I could use this same approach to address a hung computer, but wondered if someone has another suggestion?

Hopefully there are others in the same situation that have already worked through these issues.

Thanks

Mike

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running BI v5 and an BI tools on a dedicated box in my winter home controlling cameras there. Currently I am at my winter home and yesterday I was notified of an update and had to respond to allow the update. I wasn't monitoring the system at the time, so this dialog just stayed active on the screen. At some point while the dialog was open, the BI attempted to compact the database and something caused the system to hang (hard). Bi no longer recorded any events until I checked the system later in the day. I could not get task manager to come up so I could kill some processes or free the system at all. I had to shut the computer down (power switch) and repower it to get the system working properly again. I have the system configured to automatically start BI tools which then automatically starts BI. So now the questions.

1) Is there a way to have the updates for BI and BI tools to run automatically instead of popping up a dialog box since roughly half the year I an not here to respond to the dialog or barring that is there a way to disable updates until I am back at this location?
2) I also have a wifi sprinkler controller and it occasionally hangs up and I have bought a smart switch which i power it through. When it hangs up I am notified by the manufacture that the controller is no longer responding at which point I turn of the smart switch and then turn it back on and the controller begins working fine again. I could use this same approach to address a hung computer, but wondered if someone has another suggestion?

Hopefully there are others in the same situation that have already worked through these issues.

Thanks

Mike
As far as the hung computer goes.. You could buy a wifi power outlet.. Setup the computer to automatically restart after a power failure in the bios.. that way if the computer hangs. You can turn off the power thru smart switch from anywhere as well as turn it back on..

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As far as the hung computer goes.. You could buy a wifi power outlet.. Setup the computer to automatically restart after a power failure in the bios.. that way if the computer hangs. You can turn off the power thru smart switch from anywhere as well as turn it back on..
Thanks for the reply. I already have the computer configured to restart after power failure and that's why I also thought that a wifi switch was a good option. Thanks

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations for a wifi power switch? All of them on Amazon seem to be thru phone apps which means you have to give the app permission to enter and control your network. As far as I can see. Thanks!

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations for a wifi power switch? All of them on Amazon seem to be thru phone apps which means you have to give the app permission to enter and control your network. As far as I can see. Thanks!
I am using the Samsung WIFI Smart Things plug ( the rectangular one, not the round one. It is controlled by an ap on my phone. Very slick and easy to use. Less than $20.

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wanted to update everyone with my current status. As recommended, I have turned off auto updates on bothe BI and BI tools. I have ordered another WIFI smart switch to be able to retart a stuck machine. I have also installed Ultra VMC server onn the BI machine and UltraVMC viewer on my laptop so that O can fully control control the BI machine from wherever I am. I am using the latest version and it intalled and worked like a dream. Reponse is not like setting at the BI machine, but is satisfactory. I also tried AnyDesk to control the BI Machine. Response with AnyDesk was almost exactly the same as being at the BI machine. Howerver it dropped out and wouldn't readily reconnect and give me control So I removed it and went with UltraVMC. By using this software I can apply updates when needed and also periodically restart the machine to to clean up any residual junk. I am pleased and feel like these changes have addressed all my problems for now. Thanks for all the help.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wanted to update everyone with my current status. As recommended, I have turned off auto updates on bothe BI and BI tools. I have ordered another WIFI smart switch to be able to retart a stuck machine. I have also installed Ultra VMC server onn the BI machine and UltraVMC viewer on my laptop so that O can fully control control the BI machine from wherever I am. I am using the latest version and it intalled and worked like a dream. Reponse is not like setting at the BI machine, but is satisfactory. I also tried AnyDesk to control the BI Machine. Response with AnyDesk was almost exactly the same as being at the BI machine. Howerver it dropped out and wouldn't readily reconnect and give me control So I removed it and went with UltraVMC. By using this software I can apply updates when needed and also periodically restart the machine to to clean up any residual junk. I am pleased and feel like these changes have addressed all my problems for now. Thanks for all the help.
Glad that it’s working for you. I also recommend teamviewer. I think it’s one of the most reliable tools. And does have a restart command built in as well.. key is just to make sure you don’t use it all the time so that you don’t get flagged for business use or something.
I also use chrome remote desktop as well.I prefer teamviewer. But chrome works as well. if my internet connection remotely is weaker or I’m going to be doing something on for a while, I use team viewer. Just random checks etc. I use chrome.

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Glad that it’s working for you. I also recommend teamviewer. I think it’s one of the most reliable tools. And does have a restart command built in as well.. key is just to make sure you don’t use it all the time so that you don’t get flagged for business use or something.
I also use chrome remote desktop as well.I prefer teamviewer. But chrome works as well. if my internet connection remotely is weaker or I’m going to be doing something on for a while, I use team viewer. Just random checks etc. I use chrome.
I have spent more time this morning with AnyDesk and now it is working perfectly so am going with it, I am not sure what I did wrong in the setup the first time, but now find it works perfectly over the internet, but not so well on the local network (go figure). I don't need it over the local network any way as I normally set right next to the BI computer when I am at my winter home. I need to access the BI machine from my summer home when I am not in close proximity to the BI machine.
I considered team viewer because of the great reviews, but it also had the negative comments about being flagged for commercial.
Thanks