Manual focus lost on reboot

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Using an HFW5241E Z12 as an LPR. Since nighttime is so dark, I have it manually focused. My issue is that every time the camera restarts from a power outage, I have to manually focus again. Annoying. Not sure if there is a solution. It is on a battery backup but sometimes power is lost for over 2 hours.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mine dont do that. Sure you have the profile set to manual?
Interesting point. Both Day and Night were on Manual but General was set to semi-auto. I don't use general but maybe the camera does on reboots, not sure but set the General to manual as well. Fingers crossed.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Had that problem with focus using DAY/NIGHT profiles.
After power outages and missed plates in transition from night to day....I went to NIGHT profile 24/7/365 IR on B&W.
Because of the amount of asshats coming into the condo parking lot at night.
I tuned the gain to a range that works in my use case day and night, and i leave it b&w all the time....
then its still good after a shut down....Usually. My %age of capture went to 99.9 after that.
let overview cameras catch the color data and vehicle specifics,

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Had that problem with focus using DAY/NIGHT profiles.
After power outages and missed plates in transition from night to day....I went to NIGHT profile 24/7/365 IR on B&W.
Because of the amount of asshats coming into the condo parking lot at night.
I tuned the gain to a range that works in my use case day and night, and i leave it b&w all the time....
then its still good after a shut down....Usually. My %age of capture went to 99.9 after that.
let overview cameras catch the color data and vehicle specifics,
EXACTLY what is going on here. What's nuts is that I've had these settings for a couple years now and out of the blue, this sheeit started happening. THANK YOU! Gonna be tricky cause I am using it strictly for plates (tags). This street is pitch dark at night.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Going to full time B&W is one way to solve it. You can still have a day and night profile with different exposures etc. Its the IR shift that you're solving

The other choice, which I use on 4 LPR Z12's is using a schedule profile and having the camera switch from color to B&W a good 45 min before sunset and a good 45 min after sunrise so that it has something to focus on and enough light to do it.