Manually adding cameras

pieman

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an 8 port Poe nvr (Hikvision) but need to use a switch for cabling reasons. In camera setup it can see the camera but cannot add any extra. If I use sadp and change the IP address to the same range it disappers from the camera setup but won't connect. I am unsure what default gateway to enter for the camera as the cameras are a different range to the nvr. I've changed slot 1 to manual and set the password as the same but no joy.
Any help would be much appreciated.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the NVR and cameras are not on the same subnet they can't talk to each other without a router and a gateway address. If you're on a /24 there is a good possibility the gateway is X.X.X.1 or X.X.X.254. Try both of them and see if they work.

pieman

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks hook3m.
A poe nvr gives cameras their own local address separate to the actual address of the nvr on your network. Because it's generally plug and play it just uses dhcp to add the cameras.
My problem is manually adding them.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks hook3m.
A poe nvr gives cameras their own local address separate to the actual address of the nvr on your network. Because it's generally plug and play it just uses dhcp to add the cameras.
My problem is manually adding them.
You said you were not using the POE ports built into the NVR and were using a separate switch for the cameras. If you are not using the NVR's built in POE ports the NVR does not assign IP addresses to the cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have an 8-channel NVR with 8 PoE ports, and want to access cameras on the LAN, and have 8 or less cameras in total, you will find that you cannot use 'Add' in the camera configuration for the LAN-connected cameras.
Instead, assuming that you know the LAN-connected camera IP address by either setting a static IP address directly or via DHCP reservations:
Pick one of the unused channels in camera configuration on the NVR, select/highlight it.
Use the 'Modify' button to change the mode to 'Manual' instead of 'Plug and Play'
Change the IP address to that of the camera you want to connect.
Leave protocol=Hikvision, set the username and password.
Click OK.
Check in Live View that the camera is connected.

pieman

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks alastairstevenson, I'm doing something stupid (as usual).
Have you any experience using the audio in? I can't seem to find any info as to can I use an audio in and have it (live feed) play out on the hdmi.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you any experience using the audio in?
Sorry - audio is something I have not experimented with. But lots of others have, so hopefully will comment, and quite a few posts on the topic.
Presumably you were able to get your LAN-connected cameras added?
It's not very intuitive what you need to do when all channels are already configured under PoE - no delete, no add.

pieman

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I got it going in the end. Had to use the nvs's default gateway of 192.168.1.1 while the poe ports address is 192.168.254.12.