Me getting my bike stolen

bcdavis75

n3wb
Reaction score
This was a little while ago now. But here is the footage of my garage getting busted into... edited into a short music video:

A lot of lessons were learned as a result; camera height, field of view issues, etc. I have since replaced that Logitech system with Hikvision 3MP. WHAT a difference. Trying to pick my VMS now.

If you're interested in the long version of the story regarding this theft, check my blog entry. I caught him about a month later. Never got the bike back though.

http://alldavisblog.blogspot.com/2013/10/confessions-of-bike-thief.html

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Very interesting story. Thank you for sharing. It really sucks being robbed. Even if it doesn't cost you much (money), the psychological and emotional toll is huge.

Having never been in a situation like that poor guy, I can't begin to pass judgement on what he did/does to survive. I do think you did the right thing though. Crime is crime and we are all better off without it.

No5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a few speakers mounted within my soffits. When I'm away and warned via Alerts on my iOS devices (Blue Iris (BI)), I can remotely trigger BI's server sound file (I have my house alarm looped as a WAV file for 3 minutes). In this case I would have alerted the intruder and hopefully he would of left due to the sound of the "alarm". I'm always watching my property. In some instances this is not possible though.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow that's crazy, nice catch and nice video editing. It's a shame some people have to resort to that, but stealing is stealing and he deserves the jail time he got.
@No5 do you have your house alarm siren noise looked at a wave? How does this work?

Last edited:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's funny that the kid that stole your bike changed into an asian guy with super powers. Nice video, and nice editing. Although, like you said, not the best placement, but they still did the job of
capturing the crime in action.

No5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@No5 do you have your house alarm siren noise looked at a wave? How does this work?
I'm simply using the "alarm.wav" file located within the \Sounds directory of the BI install.

I've modified this to loop over and over (for about 2 minutes) with a simple wav editor. The original sound clip is only about 4 seconds long.

This sound file is identical to my wired house alarm when it goes off.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm simply using the "alarm.wav" file located within the \Sounds directory of the BI install.

I've modified this to loop over and over (for about 2 minutes) with a simple wav editor. The original sound clip is only about 4 seconds long.

This sound file is identical to my wired house alarm when it goes off.
Oh okay, so you ran a few speakers from your computer to your soffits? I have thought about doing something similar but 2-way audio.

bcdavis75

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting that you mention that. I'm an ISY user and so I'm strongly considering also installing an ELK security system. One of the aspects I intent to add is a photobeam detector and a speaker/annunciator. I don't want to to use the camera to trigger it because motion detection is too sensitive and manually firing it is probably not realistic for me.

Photo beam on the other hand... In this particular case, that would have for sure scared him off.

Incidentally, he was not boy. He's 55. This was his 9th felony conviction for burglary.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry you had to go through that. Just remember you can only help people who want to help themselves. He was playing a game on you.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quite the story. Thanks for sharing. Sorry you didn't get your bike back.

Pretty bold moves by the guy, who I would have thought to be younger. Go find a bike in a garage, through a side yard, bumping the garage door lock, ...