Memory creeping on Intel Graphics 530

godfree1963

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I been have the same problem with Blue Iris memory increasing over time. It been going up to using 24GB of memory. The latest version 5.3.8.7 still has the problem, went back to using 5.3.7.13 and it back to normal. Hasn't increased in memory size in 12 hours.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

godfree1963

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Tried 5.3.8.8 overnight, still not working. Back to 5.3.7.13. :(

Capture5.PNG

Might try using a NVidia NVS 510 card later today and see if that makes any difference.

godfree1963

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Been doing some testing using 5.3.8.9
When using 5.3.8.9 and Intel or NVidia, it causes Blue Iris to crash when I try and open a camera windows. I couldn't even get the NVidia NVS 510 card to work with hardware accelerated decode, back to using intel and 5.3.7.13
Wasted over four hours messing about and just ended up back where I started.... :confused:

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be SURE to report this to BI support. He says' no one but me has reported this issue. :(
He can't fix it, if he doesn't have good data from us.
I'm running 5.3.8.11 currently on two machines now, to test memory, but otherwise I'm having zero issue's with either install.
Making a report here on IPcamtalk does not get seen by the developer.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Installing 5.3.8.11, fingers crossed.
Now just locks-up Blue Iris when try and open a Camera window. Oh well back to 5.3.7.13
For your lockup’s you need to go back to basics so the first thing to try is disabling hardware acceleration on all the cams then enable it on a camera per camera basis. The other thing to try is a find/inspect of each camera which was a requirement of one of the updates. The other thing that I’ve read here that can cause issues is the audio setting if your cams have audio so again find/inspect should hopefully sort that.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Testing the latest release and memory is still leaking. Jumped from 2.7 MB to 9.6 MB in roughly 12 hours. The last time I talked to Ken about it he said it was likely my display driver. Not sure about that, but it sure is frustrating. I have reached out to Ken again.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.10.38 AM.png

Last edited:

godfree1963

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
For your lockup’s you need to go back to basics so the first thing to try is disabling hardware acceleration on all the cams then enable it on a camera per camera basis. The other thing to try is a find/inspect of each camera which was a requirement of one of the updates. The other thing that I’ve read here that can cause issues is the audio setting if your cams have audio so again find/inspect should hopefully sort that.
Thanks for the help. Will try this tomorrow, testing 5.3.8.12 overnight to see if it's still leaking memory.
I can still access Blue Iris using web sever and iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score

I had the audio causing the lock ups for me. What Ken with blueiris had to do was instead of 64k Audio switched it to CD quality Audio here are my camera setting now for the audio..

1611341543632.png

godfree1963

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
All working now.

I deleted all the Alerts, new, stored clips and database files. It was the last thing I was going to try before going to sleep last night, and yes it is now working!!!.
Is there a limit on the number of files the database can handle?.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Dont know the limit But I had a weird issue yesterday I have lot of alerts and it was hanging when loading alert tab.. So I engaged with Ken he had to fix something since I have such a large database. And I can confirm it has been fixed now in the latest 5.3.8.13 :)

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Update - 5.3.8.14 just got out. I installed that version and my BI was crashing right away on launch.

Rolled back to 5.3.8.13. Since I could not open BI to roll back I just went to the location since I retain the copies..

C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\Updates

And Rolled back for me to update64_53813

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All working now.

I deleted all the Alerts, new, stored clips and database files. It was the last thing I was going to try before going to sleep last night, and yes it is now working!!!.
Is there a limit on the number of files the database can handle?.
No.
You probably could have just shut down BI, deleted the DB, and restarted BI and it would have rebuilt it.

godfree1963

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No.
You probably could have just shut down BI, deleted the DB, and restarted BI and it would have rebuilt it.
No that would be far too easy.... ;)

The first thing I tried was deleting the DB, I rebuilt it and it didn't fix anything. I had over 90 days of stored clips saved to a NAS.
I've now set it to 60 days and will see what happens when it starts to gets full. Blue Iris only used about 20% of the NAS's capacity and the NAS is only been used by Blue Iris to store clips.
I would really like to know what the limits are to the DB, there must be some?.

BTW I am now running 5.3.8.15, working ok so far.

godfree1963

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just been in contact with Ken and 200,000 or so items is considered large. I had about 400,000 or so items in the DB and that may have contributed to instability as it attempts to manage the memory required to display this list all at once.
I'll keep an eye on the files and will adjust the limits when they get near to 200,000 items.

Version 5.3.8.13 has some extra intelligence for when to dump the memory for the clip display as well, so that may help.

Last edited:

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So why is this a constant battle? I have been using BI for several years now on over 20 machines. Most work perfectly however when they don't work it is ALWAYS a memory leak. I have one that is on the latest version of BI 5.3.8.15 and it keeps creeping up till it crashes. Have 20 cams with 16Gb of ram. Takes about 2 hours to go from 4GB to 16GB. I have emailed support with the typical automated response and no real person response AND yes i DO have a support contract.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So why is this a constant battle? I have been using BI for several years now on over 20 machines. Most work perfectly however when they don't work it is ALWAYS a memory leak. I have one that is on the latest version of BI 5.3.8.15 and it keeps creeping up till it crashes. Have 20 cams with 16Gb of ram. Takes about 2 hours to go from 4GB to 16GB. I have emailed support with the typical automated response and no real person response AND yes i DO have a support contract.
Were you able to solve the ones you did have memory leaks on?
Did you include the info that is required to be pasted at the top of the support e-mail, as per the help file?
I've received 4 replies, two from Sam and two from Ken. Taking 3 days to get those replies currently.
I've been messing with this for over a month now, a Dahua NVR is looking very enticing for this location at this point.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
As a test, I've disabled Camera HA for all cameras. I hope to find out if that's my source for the ongoing memory leak.