Memory issues Dahua NVR

Hatten

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a problem with my 2 years old Dahua NVR5216. It has never worked great unfortunately, I have the feeling that I have always had this problem but I do not really know when it started exactly. (I had a Dahua NVR since 2011 that great for years, the NVR is the only thing that is change in the setup).
I 5 cameras, MD (motion detection) is the only thing activated on these cameras. But it simply doesn’t save all the data that comes from the cameras when MD is active. The recorded files are small, only 2100kb – 6300kb (2-3 seconds recorded). I can also “feel” that the NVR is running really heavy, it takes forever to be able to look at the 2-3 seconds that is saved on the hard drive. (Hard drive is a WD 4TB, free space is over 3TB).
If I totally reset the NVR to factory settings and re config all cameras etc it works perfectly for about a week, I have done this reset several times during this spring but it always get back to this malfunction state because I don’t find the root cause.

Anyone has any ideas? (When it is working it is great, but I am afraid of buying another and end up with the same problem).

Device Model: DHI-NVR5216-4KS2
Hardware Version 1.0
Web Version V3.2.7.121467
Onvif Server Version 18.12(V2.4.5.752813)
Onvif Version V2.4.1
System version V4.000.0000001.5, Build Date:2019-12-06
Security Baseline Version V2.0

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve had quite a few and manage 7-8 currently and have no problems. Are you recording full time plus MD or just MD?

We’d need to know a LOT more about NVR settings, camera models, camera settings, your network and a dozen other things to be able to diagnose your problem

Hatten

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know what you need, i am just a happy amateur.

I have one NVR5216 connected to a Poe switch.
Poe Switch: HP J9780A 2530-8
IP camera: 5 IPC-HDBW4433R-ZS

Between the Poe and ip cameras there is just regular Rj45 cables, the switch is also connected to another wifirouter in my home, and that wifirouter is connected to internet router.

The NVR only records MD, nothing else and it is working perfectly for a about a week or so until the problem starts. (if I set it to only record full time, the problem also occurs in about a week.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
... but you did upgrade to the v4 firmware. Did that erroneous behavior already happened before that firmware ugprade?

What I would suggest, is perform an elimination exercise., because there are ample uncertainties at the moment:
  • disconnect all cams
  • factory reset the NVR
  • run hard drive, cpu, memory tests. if already errors, stop procedure here and fix the issue (eg HDD Smart errors: change disk)
  • connect 1 (one) camera
  • setup that cam like you wish it would be configured (eg MD/IVS).
  • analyze behavior: are the MD clips still so "short" ? Be aware: our adviced approach is to do 24/7 recording on top of the MD, hence you can still go a bit further/backwards compared to the actual MD clip.
  • if all good, add the second cam and repeat the previous 2 steps
  • if still good, continue until you plugged all your cams in.

If all good? Hooray! You solved your issue!
If not good, please report back in which iteration you got blocked.

Good luck!
CC

Hatten

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the problem occured before upgrading it to the latest version. (i upgraded it because of the problem to see if it could disapear with the new firmware/software).

Ok, so now I have:
1. Disconnect all IPC exept one from the peo switch.
2. Factory reset at the NVR and all IPC.
3. SMART shows OK at all values at the HDD
4. Configured NVR and one camera from the beginning. Activated both "normal recording" and MD at the one camera that is plugged in to the poe switch.

For now once again the NVR working perfectly, i will login once a day and see when (if) it brakes down again.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the problem occured before upgrading it to the latest version. (i upgraded it because of the problem to see if it could disapear with the new firmware/software).

Ok, so now I have:
1. Disconnect all IPC exept one from the peo switch.
2. Factory reset at the NVR and all IPC.
3. SMART shows OK at all values at the HDD
4. Configured NVR and one camera from the beginning. Activated both "normal recording" and MD at the one camera that is plugged in to the poe switch.

For now once again the NVR working perfectly, i will login once a day and see when (if) it brakes down again.
Yay!

Good job!

Don't try to run, but you'll reach your goal (eventually)!

Happy Camming!
CC

Hatten

n3wb
Reaction score
An update 2 month later...

I found the faulty camera, what the problem was with it I do not know, but apperently it made the NVR go really heavy/slow.

Thanks for your help and thoughts, I connected one camera every second week and at last I got the same problem a week after I connected one of them.

Now everything works great again.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
An update 2 month later...

I found the faulty camera, what the problem was with it I do not know, but apperently it made the NVR go really heavy/slow.

Thanks for your help and thoughts, I connected one camera every second week and at last I got the same problem a week after I connected one of them.

Now everything works great again.
That's great news! It's always nice when people give feedback on their issues and more importantly: the root causes! This will certainly help other users!

Have a nice day and stay safe!
CC