Memory leak on version 5.8.0.5

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, so early this morning I went back to 5.8.0.5 and it has ran all day with NO memory leak ?? I could of jumped the gun on first time around by not doing a full windows reboot which is the only thing I did on this test differently. I normally try to do that on every update, but must of been in a hurry. Anyway looks good so far.

View attachment 175069
Well, it did grow and I have had it up now about 35hrs now.

108.jpg

Kairus

n3wb
Reaction score
Commit size continues to grow throughout the day until I restart BI. I've seen it as high as 18gb before restarting BI. Looks like a definite memory leak.

1697506414310.png

Kairus

n3wb
Reaction score
Give 5.8.0.6 a try, I'm testing now, but mine is a slowww leak.
Installing it now. Looks like the memory leak is related to motion detection, memory usage ballooned this morning.

1697560267493.png

After updating to 5.8.0.6 this is where usage started. Will check back in a few hours.
1697560322390.png

Kairus

n3wb
Reaction score
5.8.0.6 definitely isn't any better! I e-mailed support as well.

1697592460413.png

Kairus

n3wb
Reaction score
I reverted back to 5.7.9.12 last night but forgot I had automatic updates on so it updated to 5.8.0.6 at 3AM last night :blankstare:. I received an e-mail from Ken that he found an issue surrounding cancelled alerts and retriggering and he will be releasing 5.8.0.7 today with a fix.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I reverted back to 5.7.9.12 last night but forgot I had automatic updates on so it updated to 5.8.0.6 at 3AM last night :blankstare:. I received an e-mail from Ken that he found an issue surrounding cancelled alerts and retriggering and he will be releasing 5.8.0.7 today with a fix.
So far 5.8.0.7 looks better than previous updates :) my memory is still holding under 1GB, none of the others did that .

109.jpg

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hardware acceleration isn't needed anymore. That was only needed back before substreams were introduced. The substreams allowed other CPUs without QuickSync to be used. For kicks I disabled it and deleted the driver and my system ran fine LOL.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem and HA is decreasing their CPU% usage, but the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point, especially if using CodeProject - depending on the number of cameras using HA and number of cameras using CodeProject, you could be maxing out the GPU.

However, with substreams being introduced, for many people the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU seems to go up by using hardware acceleration. But of course, some will see a CPU improvement by enabling it.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. Here is a recent thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration based on my post and their CPU dropped 10-15% and BI became stable.

But if you use HA, use plain intel and not the variants.

As always, YMMV.
Interesting. I'm going to have to try this and compare usage stats. I still have hardware acceleration (intel) turned on for all my cams, even those with substreams.

Curious what if any difference it would make with a couple 2/3mp cams I have that don't support sub streams.

Will do some experimenting for sure..

The memory leak is what brought me to this thread. However I just updated to 5.8.0.7 and we'll see if that helps.