Merging BVR/JPG files from replaced HD

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My new setup, based upon the advice here at IP Cam Talk, is working well. Thanks for the inputs. My replacement c drive (WD 1TB, 2 1/2") is dedicated to Windows 10 Pro, BIT, and BI. Plus a couple of support utilities. My new d drive (WD Purple 6TB) is dedicated to BI database and the NEW folder. The STORED and the ALERTS folders are set to zero storage. This setup is working great!

Now on my old original c drive (1 TB,3 1/2", which came with the new pc (refurbished Dell OptiPlex 7050, i7-7700, 8 GB DDR4 2400)), is in a SATA III USB 3 HD enclosure. This drive has ~900 GB of my original BVR and JPG files. Can I merge these files into the new NEW folder on the new d drive? Would I then run a db repair? I'd like to keep these files. Then I could delete them off the USB drive and use it elsewhere.

Related Question: My BI database is now on d:\blueiris\db. I recently read that it should be on the fastest drive. How do I move it to the c:\ drive? Do I change it on the Clips and Archiving screen and then do a database repair/regenerate?

Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
DB repairs can take hours, during which no recording can happen. If that doesn't bother you, then just move the files manually and start a DB repair when it is done.

You are correct about the procedure to move the clip database. Though I think you could avoid having to repair/rebuild it if you remap the location, then close Blue Iris, then copy/move the db files to the new location, and start Blue Iris again.

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I didn't know the db rebuild would take so long.
Regarding the clip db move back to c:, I'll give it a go! Thanks!

Actually, I rethought this. The whole system is working really well right now so I think I will delay moving the db back to c:\. No sense in messing it up. I had a really hard time with the Windows 10 Creator's update last week. I could not stop it and I lost two days trying to get it installed correctly.

Again, bp2008, thanks for your time and the new UI3 is outstanding!

Last edited:

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now skip ahead nearly three years, I want to upgrade my 6 Tb to a 14 Tb HD. If I do something like an image copy from old to new and then swap the old out, would that work without having to do a DB rebuild? Then i could increase the size of the the BI DB to match the new 14 Tb HD.

Thanks
Johnny

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As long as the files end up at the same path Blue Iris expects them to be in, then you won't have to rebuild the DB.

1) Add the 14 TB drive with a new drive letter.
2) Shut off Blue Iris (stop its service too)
3) Move all the files from the 6TB to the 14TB, retaining the original directory structure.
4) Remap the drive letters so the 14TB drive has the letter that the 6TB previously had.
5) Start Blue Iris

Blue Iris won't even know anything has changed, except that there is now a lot more unallocated free space.