Messed up Uniview NVR and Dahua camera installation

6paq

n3wb
Reaction score
I have installed a Dahua 8mp IP camera (without reset switch) to a uniview NVR, both are brand new as in the camera hasn't been initialized and the UNV has the default password of 123456.
I switch on the NVR and wait for to see if the Dahua camera picture shows up as I haven't initialized it. The camera shows up and I proceed to log into the NVR, I enter "123456" and change the password to "abcd.1234". The camera works, but I don't know what the camera password is. When I look at the camera section on the NVR, I can see 9 asterisks in the camera password section which corresponds to the password I just entered.

The problem I have is, when I disconnect the camera from the NVR and try to access the camera using my pc, I can see the login screen but I seem to get the user/password wrong until it locks me out for 300 seconds, I have tried all sorts of combinations such as:
admin/admin
admin/abcd.1234
admin/123456
I've also tried 888888/888888, and the above combinations with "default" as the user name. nothing gets me into the camera menu. I forgot to mention, the ip camera's ip address has been changed to 172.16.0.6 automatically.

It seems like UNV NVR has initialized the camera and also set a password for it, I need this password but have no idea what it is, it isn't the password that I set for the NVR.

I've given the above example but I have 15 cameras to sort out with this problem.

6paq

n3wb
Reaction score
I wish it did. I'm wondering if there are different login accounts for dahua cameras e.g. 1 for private protocol and another for onvif. The NVR is showing the cameras as onvif

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So initially you had them connected to the NVR PoE ports and then tried to connect to the camera, successfully, on an external switch?

6paq

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, there were 15 of them connected to a 16 channel uniview NVR (all new kit), only one of them showed up on screen. I didn't do the install, I was asked to help

In order to understand what was happening, I setup another NVR with the same type of camera, I purposely didn't log into the NVR and waited until the camera booted up and showed a picture on screen. I then proceeded to log into the NVR and was forced to change the default password from 123456. I wanted i check if the camera had indeed adopted either the default or new password from the NVR. Trying to log into the camera using a laptop and POE switch or via an IPC tester, i keep getting a user / password error.

I know the cameras shouldn't be added this way and should instead be initialized using a POE switch and have their ip addresses set manually when adding to a different type of NVR.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I take it 172.16.0.X is the default network for the UNV NVR internal PoE switch?

And you're accessing it on an external switch on that same network but just cant get past the password?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Im outta ideas... reboot the NVR and see if that helps the camera to adopt its Password?
Default the NVR with camera plugged in?

6paq

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll have to go down the qr code route, was hoping to avoid that.

6paq

n3wb
Reaction score
I j couldn't wait so I just unscrewed them all and reset the buggers using a staple.
Used dh test tool on my IPC tester to set each ip address and password individually and. All is good now.

6paq

n3wb
Reaction score
I couldn't let it go. I set up another unit to mess around with. I figured out the password in case anyone comes across this in future. The user / password combo is "admin" / "Ipc123456"