Micro SD Cards

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this question. None of the forum categories seemed quite right. I have Dahua cameras, so I stuck it here. :)

I have a system working with six 4MP cameras, one 2MP camera and a dedicated BI computer. The "New" folder in Blue Iris gets backed up weekly to a separate NAS. The "Stored" folder does not get backed up because it is so large. With this setup, I haven't felt a strong need to also install Micro SD cards in each camera. Prices have come down, but the memory cards aren't free. Do others feel this is a mistake? Do most people install memory cards in their cameras as another backup? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Reaction score
I have 21 cams and use BI. I have three 10TB drives for video. That is seven cams per drive. I get about 28 days of recordings stored doing continuous 24/7 direct to disk. I do not use the 'Stored' folder. Everything gets written to 'New' on each HDD. It is set to delete as space is needed. I see no reason to back up to my NAS or anything else since 28 days is long enough for me.

I have SD cards in every cam. For me, this is to provide recordings if the BI computer or a disk drive craps out, or the power goes out. In my case, the UPS on the BI machine will die before the UPSes that protect my POE switches die. I have the SD cards recording events only as set in each cam. This also protects me in the highly rare instance that the perps destroy or steal my BI PC.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That document has some suggestions I didn't know. Thanks. I didn't see any mention of memory card storage however.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Surely there must be other people that have strong opinions about the need or lack of need for memory cards in your cameras. Please enlighten me.

looney2ns, did you happen to attach the wrong document? It didn't mention micro SD cards at all.

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a SD card in every camera as a back plan should all else fail. I see it similar to an insurance policy. You pay for it and hope you don't need it.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I run a SD card in all my cameras. Depending on how critical they are as to what size. 64g wd purple is cheap for a minimum card.

I figure the price of a sd card is a drop in the bucket compared to what you would pay after a break-in,
vandalism, stolen vehicle, etc.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know if the Dahua T-5442T-ZE camera has a maximum SD card size that will work?