Microphone issue! Please recommend what to do!

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm trying to connect a microphone to my DS-2CD764FWD-EZ camera. I tried 2 different ones but getting static loud noise.
I think the amperage is too high, one of the microphones (DS-2FP4021-B) shows to take 45mA. I tried to use a supply from an old analog security camera, it had 1200mA.
I am looking all over for 45mA supply but can't seem to find one. Or maybe the camera converts mA to what it needs? Or it has to be 45mA or below?

Anyways looking for suggestions. I need to set this up asap. Appreciate any help with this.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By the way usually in security cameras I can plugin wires in green connector, but this has standard audio jack such as in headphones or speakers, I tried to split one and use it and also bought one that is designed for making such cable. I tried plugging in the white cable in center and that is when noise comes in. But this connector is designed for 2 cables. The microphone only has the red and black connectors for power and audio has only 1.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By the way if I speak loud I can hear what I say from the security camera connected, but the noise is way too loud so can hear it barely.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The microphone determines how much current it draws. The power supply capability needs to be able to supply at least as much current as the microphone needs. A power supply capable of supplying more current than needed is not a problem. What's important is that the voltage is correct, and that the type of power (AC or DC) is correct. The spec sheet for the microphone says it wants 12 volts DC. Some supplies are DC, and some are AC. Even with the correct power, there are other things that can cause noise problems.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The microphone determines how much current it draws. The power supply capability needs to be able to supply at least as much current as the microphone needs. A power supply capable of supplying more current than needed is not a problem. What's important is that the voltage is correct, and that the type of power (AC or DC) is correct. The spec sheet for the microphone says it wants 12 volts DC. Some supplies are DC, and some are AC. Even with the correct power, there are other things that can cause noise problems.
Thanks for the reply. It is 12v. Please see attached PDF. It says max 45mA for supply current. Does that mean it is simply what the mic uses? But it can handle more?

Why the static then? I'm using power supply thats 12v output and 1200mA.

Maybe the connector is wrong? The camera takes standard audio plug 3.5 connector which has 2-3 wires to connect, but mic only has 1 cable which is the white one for audio intake. Is it possible that the ground needs to be connected both to the power supply and the 3.5 cable??? Really need to finish up this job, I installed all cameras and this mic is only thing keeping the project delayed. :)

Attachments

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The microphone uses 45mA. It cannot handle more and it won't draw more. It's kind of like you asking somebody to bring you a quart of water and they bring you a gallon. You take your quart, and leave the rest sitting on the counter where it sits unused not hurting anything.

The camera spec sheet says it has a 3.5mm connector for the audio input. I'm assuming it's a monophonic (2-wire) connection. The microphone spec sheet says it provides 3 wires: black for ground, red for power, and yellow for audio output. The power supply needs to use 2 wires, and the audio output needs to use 2 wires. This is accomplished by sharing the black wire for both. The black wire needs to connect to the negative side of the power supply, and also to the shaft of the audio connector to the camera. The yellow wire needs to connect to the tip of the audio connector. If you're using a stereo version (3-wire) version of the 3.5mm connector, just don't hook anything to the middle connection (the section of the shaft that's closest to the tip).

I don't have any personal experience with either the specific microphone or camera, so everything I'm saying is generic. It's possible there's something else that needs to be done that I have no knowledge of. Your power supply, odds-wise, is probably DC, but you really should verify that. Somewhere it should say 12 vdc, or 12 volts with a DC symbol, a straight line. If the output is AC it will say 12 vac, or 12 volts with an AC symbol, a wavy line.