Microphone/Speaker Setup

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking to install a microphone and speaker setup on a post at my driveway entry where a gate will be. I'm looking for 2 way communication pretty much.

I currently have a 4MP Dahua camera that has the mic and speaker jacks on it. I just need a mic and speaker. I'm trying to figure out the best way to power the mic and speaker. I may end up just doing the mic only. I have some 12v powered mics already with the RCA jack on the end. I mostly need to figure out how to power the mic, which I guess could be done by ethernet cable on 12v up to 115 foot away? That would be the closest way to power it.

I found this, does it not need any power? If that's the case good, but it has a 3.5 jack and the Dahuah has an RCA jack input. I could convert it I suppose, unless power is being supplied through the 3.5 jack.
http://www.a1securitycameras.com/ets-ml1-sf.html

Last edited by a moderator:

woodchip

n3wb
Reaction score
I found it on the manufacturer's site, and they say it is "PC compatible". To me, this means it is an electret microphone that requires 3 to 5V DC bias through a resistor. I am not familiar with the Dahua, but my Hikvision dome can provide DC bias. It has a menu to select line level or mic level input, and it enables the bias if you select mic level. The mic you provided the link for is a ceiling mount and may not be suitable for an outdoor location. The same site has a weatherproof model for a few dollars more.

The manufacturer (ETS - www.etsnm.com) also makes amplified mic and speaker combos that require 12V DC. Check out STW1 and STW1-SE. I'm sure they are more expensive but it appears they would accomplish your objective. I have not used any of their equipment so can't vouch for its quality.