Midspan(mode b) and endspan (mode a) ?

MacAmb77

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello guys whats up?
Regarding a poe/none poe PSE(POE switch etc..)

So if i have a poe switch and a poe ip camera does it matter the Ethernet cable terminator Mode ?or i should use Mode A ?
because i always Mode B
Or i can use any mode?
Or it does matter ? If it does,does the manufacturer provide info on which mode is used for cabling?.

Thanks ..
And sorry for a noob question i am new to Networking.

MacAmb77

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes i know that.
But my question was when do we use Mode A and Mode B ?
Do you use Mode A or Mode B when a product vendor like a poe switch provides info on datasheet on which mode you use?
Because here is what i found this info that's why i am asking

Powered Devices labeled as “compliant” fulfill IEEE’s strict requirements of
supporting both Mode A and Mode B power modes. 802.3af/at compatible Powered Devices on the other hand, usually only have the ability to provide power using Mode B.

Power pin outs for compatible powered devices are vendor-specific.
While 802.3af/at compatible powered devices can operate with compliant power sourcing equipment, there is no guarantee. If you find yourself in the market for an 802.3af/at compatible devices, ensure to check the product’s data sheet or contact your vendor to ensure that your prospective device will be compatible with your existing Power Sourcing Equipment.

Please make a note that compliant Power Sourcing Equipment can either support Mode A or Mode B, but IEEE doesn’t require compliant devices to support both power modes. Power Sourcing Equipment can essentially support one mode and still be considered compliant.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Understood.
From Wikipedia ==>> Power over Ethernet:

You don't select the mode, the PSE, and not the PD, decides whether power mode A or B shall be used.
Your only responsibility is to insure that both the PSE and the PD comply with 802.3af/at.

MacAmb77

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks i just saw that on a website thought it matters