Migration to a New PC

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Over the weekend I'm going to migrate BI to a new (to me) PC. ProDesk 600 G2, i5-6500, 16GB RAM and a new 240GB SSD with a fresh install of W10Pro. I'll move my 4TB and 8TB WD Purples to this machine.

I'm currently on BI 4.something and I'll take this opportunity to upgrade to 5 while I'm in maintenance mode. How best to tackle this?

Upgrade to 5 on the old PC and then export all settings from old to new machine?

Fresh install of BI5 on the new machine and export the setting from BI4 on the old machine to BI5 on the new one?

I guess the question is... Will a settings/config export from BI4 work of by importing to BI5? If that's the case I'll just do a fresh install of BI5 on the new PC and import current settings and license.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just upgrade to a new machine and BI5. I did the clean windows install, the clean BI5 install and imported the BI4 settings. NO problems at all.

I have BI4 and BI5 running in parallel. The only change i made was removing the clone cameras that write to the network drive from the BI4 configuration.

Things left to do, set up the time server on the new BI5 machine and point the cameras to it.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've done the move.

Bought the extended support package and upgraded BI4 machine until I saw I was eligible for BI5
Removed 2 x WD Purples from old machine and mounted in new
Made sure driver letters matched on both machines for the WD Purples
Installed BI5 on the new machine
Copied the DB from the old machine and overwrote the DB on the new machine
Exported settings from old machine into BI5 on the new
Disabled the product code on the the BI4 machine and added to the BI5 machine

Everything went quite smoothly but I cam having some video tearing on the new machine and can't pin it down. Not sure is it monitor related as I'm sharing a monitor between a couple of machines but the BI5 machine is permanently connected to the monitor but that input is not always selected. I'm going to try add an EDID dummy to the PC so it will think it's always connected to a monitor. I'm not holding out much hope that it will fix the issue.

The machine should be powerful enough. It's running about about 50%-60% CPU and less than 4GB RAM.