Mini PTZ - Microphone

Git

Banned
Reaction score
I have the version 1 which has inputs for alarm and audio

I would like to add a decent microphone to help monitor my grand daughter when she is out in our backyard. I did a forum search, came across a couple of examples, but I am still a little confused on what to get. Also I am wondering if anyone has come up with a more recent solution

I would prefer not to have to run a power cable just for the microphone - but I can if need be

Any Ideas?

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm with you! I've been trying to figure out the whole microphone thing myself. I can't seem to find any mics with the same type of output as that green audio adapter on the cam's pigtail. I don't know if we're supposed to crimp the end off of a computer mic and connect the bare wires or if there's perhaps a special adapter or type of mic that would be plug and play. I've tried asking different places but haven't seen any response

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just about any microphone will work. Un-powered or otherwise. Cut off the connector of the mic, strip a bit of plastic insulation off the ends, put the copper wires into the green connector, tighten with a screwdriver and boom--audio in.
Try it with a dollar mic first. I had dozens laying around from computer soundcards and other PC/headset applications. You may or may not get better results with the audio environment filter on. Log into the camera to change the settings.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just about any microphone will work. Un-powered or otherwise. Cut off the connector of the mic, strip a bit of plastic insulation off the ends, put the copper wires into the green connector, tighten with a screwdriver and boom--audio in.
Try it with a dollar mic first. I had dozens laying around from computer soundcards and other PC/headset applications. You may or may not get better results with the audio environment filter on. Log into the camera to change the settings.
Ok, just ordered a dollar computer mic with 3.5mm plug. I'm assuming once I crimp off the 3.5mm plug, the wires will be in color coded insulation. Is there a standard color code for the wire insulation to know which wire goes to "in" and which goes to "ground"?

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most of mine look like this. Sorry for the glare. Took a quick photo with my phone.
The braided outer shield cable is the shield/ground and the center conductor is the positive or signal. Color is not always consistent. The tip and second ring of this plug carry signal and the 3rd ring is the shield.

Attachments

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, so the microphone arrived. I clipped off the end and shaved away some insulation (this must be 40 gauge wires, they're about as thick as a hair)...

I'm still a little confused on exactly how to connect these wires. I know which is ground and which is positive, but not sure exactly where to put the wires on the camera's pigtail...The audio pigtail has a green plug that can be pulled off or on and looks like several potential places that the wires could be connected.

By the way, this is not a powered mic.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, so the microphone arrived. I clipped off the end and shaved away some insulation (this must be 40 gauge wires, they're about as thick as a hair)...

I'm still a little confused on exactly how to connect these wires. I know which is ground and which is positive, but not sure exactly where to put the wires on the camera's pigtail...The audio pigtail has a green plug that can be pulled off or on and looks like several potential places that the wires could be connected.

By the way, this is not a powered mic.
Riceandbeans I believe covered this (pics) in his awesome thread:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7222-How-to-Standalone-(headless-no-NVR)-Huisun-Mini-PTZ-installation?p=64200&viewfull=1#post64200

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like he installed a powered (active) mic. Is an unpowered (passive) mic connected the same way (just without the connection to the 12v power source)? Maybe I'm dreaming this, but I thought I read somewhere that the removable green piece on the camera's audio pigtail was kept on for one type of mic and removed for another type (ie. one way made it a "line in" port and the other made it a "mic in" port)? Again, maybe I'm just imagining this?

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like he installed a powered (active) mic. Is an unpowered (passive) mic connected the same way (just without the connection to the 12v power source)? Maybe I'm dreaming this, but I thought I read somewhere that the removable green piece on the camera's audio pigtail was kept on for one type of mic and removed for another type (ie. one way made it a "line in" port and the other made it a "mic in" port)? Again, maybe I'm just imagining this?
The golf ball mic is passive, so it must work. I can't find it now, but I recall reading there was a 'line in' setting in the cam firmware for setting the mic as powered/unpowered, so it is attenuated in software. At least that's how I remember it..I'll go digging into my V1 firmware and check.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, curiosity got the best of me and decided to give the unpowered mic a try with the green adapter piece left on. Took a few tries of tightening and re-tightening the screw as the flimsy, hair-like wires kept falling out of the connector. Finally I got it to hold. Set the firmware to "mic in" and it works...Audio isn't very loud. Adjusting the gain up on the firmware just causes it to over-amplify making the audio cut in and out when there's any talking or passing vehicles. Just have to turn on my powered speakers and crank it's amp all the way up to hear what's going on. Serves the purpose, although I have to remember to cut it down before playing any other audio source as it will blast me out of the house.

Oh well, at least it works.

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tin the copper with solder to make the connections easier and more solid. You might try experimenting with the settings in your camera and audio gain in BI. I get great results from my Hikvision cams. Can't compare to the mini yet, but I can hear the neighbor's radio about a half mile away.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently got one of these vintage sony's, took it apart from its housing and although still big, it appears smaller than the Golf Ball mic.

Very little feedback noise when compared to the cheap small button, but not much else to compare it to. Overall good performance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SONY-F-26s-Dynamic-Mic-Cardioid-Recording-Microphone-F-26S-IMP-Low-/272135597155?hash=item3f5c8bac63:g:-roAAOSwx-9Wwrd0

If your looking for a none powered mic ensure you stay away from ones titled "condenser" as they require power. Dynamic is the type your looking for but not all are titled a such.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.