Mini-Review - EmpireTech LPR413-Z3

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Courtesy of @EMPIRETECANDY we have a new camera to review!

This time it is the EmpireTech LPR413-Z3 Automated License Plate Reader camera.

It sports a 4MP 1/1.8"CMOS | Focal Length 8mm to 32mm | License Plate Recognition Distance Distance up to 20 m (65.62 ft) | Capture and Recognize License Plates from Vehicles Traveling up to 120 kph (75 mph) | Starlight+ Technology | Dual Illuminators | Supports Intrusion and Loitering Detection | Built-in Mic and Speaker | Open and Close gate | Active Alarm with Red/Blue Lights and Siren or Voice Prompt

The full specs and purchase are available currently at his website.

First off, this thing is a beast! Here is a picture comparison to our favorite Z12E

1712098747734.png

I am blown away by the accuracy of this camera during the day.

With a rated distance of 65 feet to read plates, it was easily reading plates at 100 feet with 99% accuracy with a less than ideal angle. While I was getting high accuracy, for testing I brought it back down to 65 feet. I had seen reports of folks with ANPR cameras stating that they do poor with USA plates with about 30% accuracy, but the algorithm does very well. Over the last 6 days it has logged over 2,000 plates and the only few it had trouble with during the day where when a hitch or trailer obstructed some of the view.

It gives a nice easy to view live screen on the left and the recent plates picked up since logging in. The reading of the plates is milliseconds. Very fast.

sampleday2.jpg

Sadly, that only shows the plates since you logged in. When it times out, it starts over again.

whenLoggingIn.jpg

However, the simple Search option will pull them all up:

1712099443739.png

As incredible as it is during the day, at night it needs the right conditions.

This camera will work really well in a place that is well-lit or you have street lights or you can get within 20 feet of the camera and use the built-in warm white LED or 730nm infrared.

Unfortunately because it is an ANPR camera, it is looking for the outline of a vehicle. Even though I can read the plate on video playback, the camera isn't registering the plate without seeing the vehicle.

But give it some light and it can do well with either the infrared or the white light.

Here is an example at 60 feet with the 4 built-in warm white LEDs. The plate is a little washed out, but that is simply a brightness/contrast/gamma adjustment:

streetlightcolor.jpg

And at 60 feet with the 730nm infrared:

streetlightlpr.jpg

1712103715303.png

Depending on your neighborhood, the 4 lights on this camera are way more obvious than say the T180 or 4K/T or 4K/X, so that could be a deal killer for some.

The 730nm infrared is an improvement on reading the printed 3M plates compared to the 850nm infrared, but these do cast a red glow that is much more noticeable than the 850nm. You will see the red bouncing off the soffit when standing from the street and will be a noticeable light.

The layout is a little different than we are used to, so let me share a few screenshots.

The General settings are straightforward and does fairly well on mainly default.

A nice feature with this camera is you tell it the outside light threshold that you want the camera lights to come on. It is a slider called Default Environmental Brightness.

GeneralSettings.jpg

The shutter/exposure is tucked away a little bit. With this camera you can only set the shutter speed once. There is not a day and night difference. Fortunately for most 1/2000 will work in both day and night.

shuttersetting2.jpg

They added the ability to change only sharpness and WDR during Day, night, and Morning/Dusk:

Shuttersettings.jpg

Under metering is the ability to have the camera compensate for backlight and frontlight. At the angles I am at, it doesn't make much difference, but would certainly be of use for those with a more straight on, closer installation.

Metering.jpg

A cool feature I hope they start adding to every camera is the ability to see the CPU status. With no movement and 25FPS it was holding tight at 42% CPU utilization. This is a great feature that we can use to test how different setups impact the CPU performance.

CPUstatus.jpg

I am going to show a couple of new additions that have been added to some of the newer cameras with a firmware update. For example, the latest firmware on Andy's website for the T180 and 4K/T offer many of these options.

The Diagnosis screen is a way to confirm everything is in good working order. Since I isolate my cameras from the internet, that is why I have abnormal for DNS and Network routing.

diagnosis.png

The camera also adds the ability for a firewall and anti-dos attack. Probably not an issue for those that isolate the camera from the internet.

firewall.jpg

Here is a nice one-page snapshot showing the security status of the camera.

security status.jpg

There are a few "bugs" that I have encountered.

The first one was the camera wouldn't acknowledge the SD card. Andy confirmed it with a few cameras he had as well. Similar to the factory reset 3 times that many of us go by, for the camera to recognize the SD card you need to format it in the camera 3 times and then unplug the camera and plug it back in and then it will recognize the camera. Hopefully this can be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

Another bug I have encountered is it will not pull up photos from the SD card. It just says loading.

photonotloading.jpg

Along those lines, I do not think this camera stores video to the SD card. If it is there, I haven't found it or it doesn't work. You would need to use a VMS in order to have video.

Final verdict

Is this camera the right choice for everyone - NO.

If you are a business, gated community, HOA, this would be a great addition. You could automate gates by employee or residents plates. It has an audio and visual siren and lights that can go off for plates on the blacklist or unknown plates.

If you are a homeowner on a street with no street lights, the answer is probably no. The lights, either white or LED, are quite visible and would certainly draw attention.

If you are a homeowner on a street with street lights and most neighbors leave their house lights on, then it is a strong maybe.

In any case, you would want to be within 65 feet, especially for night time.

Wishlist

Hopefully with a firmware update they can add the ability for it to recognize the "signature" of a plate and be able to read and log seeing just a plate without the outline of a vehicle, similar to how OpenALPR and CodeProject ANPR can.

Please give us a camera on this sensor with a 64mm focal length. I think the shorter focal length alone is what will probably keep most homeowners from getting this camera.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another bug I have encountered is it will not pull up photos from the SD card. It just says loading.
I assume these files aren't 0 bytes. Try opening them with IrfanView or even google chrome. Could be an odd quirk preventing them from loading in the windows image viewer. Also try removing the SD card are reading directly or pulling files from the SD card using SmartPSS.

Last edited:

Peeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Regarding: Please give us a camera on this sensor with a 64mm focal length. I think the shorter focal length alone is what will probably keep most homeowners from getting this camera. "

Having read the LPR discussions here, and the importance of FOV, I completely understand. I think my application would need the 50mm model, 64mm even better. There is also the issue of disguising it at the street-- bigger is not better. But that is probably a lesser concern as that could be worked around.

Reaction score
Have you tried from Search? Pick Search Time Range desired, select the entry you want, Download by File.

This is from a LPR437IR so may totally irreverent to this camera

Screenshot 2024-04-02 212913.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried from Search? Pick Search Time Range desired, select the entry you want, Download by File.

This is from a LPR437IR so may totally irreverent to this camera

View attachment 191307
Yeah the download works, but the OPEN next to it doesn't.

I am using Explorer but will try Chrome as suggested above.

MarioBoo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the camera and the thing that bugs me is that the FTP function doesn’t work at all. It says test succesful but nothing gets uploaded to my ftp server. But besides that the camera works really well even at 85ft with not so good of an angle. I also have a Hikvision iDS-TCM403-B and that one has much better picture quality (besides the longer focal length) and it is much easier to configure at night then the Dahura ITC413.

I’m using a 256gb Samsung Pro endurance microsd and have not encounter any issues with it.

Last edited:

Peeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Couple of questions:

- I see an "ANPR Camera" screenshot in post 6. Is that something this camera provides, or is BI, or ???

- The post above mentions FTP. If you connect using Ethernet, why not have images directly captured in your camera software. Does BI not do that? I guess i don't understand why you would need FTP if you are locally connected on the same network.

- I read the specs for this camera again. It discusses a remote controller, operating at 433MHz. What is that?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
- The post above mentions FTP. If you connect using Ethernet, why not have images directly captured in your camera software. Does BI not do that? I guess i don't understand why you would need FTP if you are locally connected on the same network.
The person that made that post never mentioned using "BI".
He also did not say that his "ftp server" was on the same local network (LAN) as the camera, so he may very well need FTP to upload data from the camera to a remote server via the Internet. :cool:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Couple of questions:

- I see an "ANPR Camera" screenshot in post 6. Is that something this camera provides, or is BI, or ???

- I read the specs for this camera again. It discusses a remote controller, operating at 433MHz. What is that?
ANPR is handled by the camera. Post 6 is a screenshot of the camera software in the camera.

FTP has nothing to do with internal/external network. It's just a file server. It can be on the internet or you can host one locally. Some people like for jpeg snapshots from the camera to be sent directly to a FTP server for archiving. He is probably hosting a FTP server in his home and wants to simply collect all the snapshots there in one location.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Couple of questions:

The camera does the reading and logging of the plates all by itself. It doesn't need BI or an NVR in order to read and log the plates.

Peeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera does the reading and logging of the plates all by itself. It doesn't need BI or an NVR in order to read and log the plates.
I was unaware of that, so thank you for clarifying. Now it makes sense.

I have seen other cameras, from other vendors, advertised as "ANPR cameras." Similar to this one, but those cameras did not have such a capability. So learning this helps me better understand. It also helps clarify why the person above was commenting about using FTP.

In the above screenshot, the "Plate Number" field is blank. If it is populated, what does it show? An image, the text/alphanumeric of the plate, or ??

Thanks!

Reaction score
Couple of questions:

The screenshot in post #6 is not from the camera in this thread, but they’re both ANPR Automated Number Plate Recognition cameras. The processing is done by the camera. In my case it pushes it to my NVR which is then able to save each event (as well as recording video full time). My NVR is set up for push notifications for DMSS to send a picture of the vehicle and separate picture of the plate if someone comes up my driveway. Again this is the LPR437 so I don’t want to sidetrack this thread too far but just wanted to show what the ANPR cameras are capable of when coupled with a Dahua, in my case Empiretech NVR
IMG_0645.jpeg

As far a the 433MHz, 868MHz, I saw that and wondered what it was referring to as well.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That thing is a monster! I like how they’re building mount into it.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We discovered a glitch in firmware with the older models; if you are using black/whitelist for barrier control the camera won’t show your list of plates/owner names. You have to download it as a spreadsheet to view. Can you add a couple plates and see if they’re visible?

Samlol23

n3wb
Reaction score
So I bought this cam from Andy about 6 months ago and just got around to installing it outside of my house. The review is spot on. I also have an
HFW5231E-Z12E that I was using to try to capture plates prior to this purchase. A couple of points for anyone interested; Depending on where you live, the IR and White fill light may be useless. I had to turn both off. I’m in a residential neighborhood on 2 acres. No lights at all in my area. The 720nm IR is visible bright red light. Period. Nothing like the IR of my other cameras. (850nm). I had to buy an auxiliary Axton POE IR light and place that in a tree near my camera for night time capture. Dahua does make this camera in an 850nm version, which I should have asked Andy if he could get. I totally didn’t realize. Secondly, the captures are fantastic with this camera. Way better than any of my other cameras, and I have a few nice Dahuas. I run it through an NVR, but also have it set through the camera to send a snapshot through FTP to a computer folder on my network, so I get a photo each time a car passes my house. It really is overkill. I live on a quiet street and maybe have 20 cars per day pass by. Mostly neighbors. Day capture is perfect with little tweaking. Night time is difificult because it’s pitch black. Zero light. And even with the IR it’s tough for cars approaching, as there is no lighting on the car to illuminate the plate as there is on the rear plate. I know I’m all over the place here. But I wanted to say great review, and I’m happy with the purchase. Just know it’s BIG.