Minimising False alarms due to reflection

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a way of minimising false alarms when using a static cam set on Tripwire alarm?

I've full access to all the settings via webservice and SMART PSS, but for love nor money I just don't seem to be able to stop false alarms due to reflection on the vehicle it is covering, which is about 2.5 metres away on my driveway.

First tried motion dectection - disaster, when it rained false alarms every 2nd minute, mostly a night, so no good!

Then tried intrusion alarm set up, just as bad, so now trying tripwire....and guess what, alarms still being triggered by reflection. As I write this post now, the cam is picking up 'green' tracking on gravel! That doesn't reflect!

IPC-HDW5831R-ZE

IPC-HDW5831R-ZE

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Here are 3 screen shots - please note that for some reason the channel did not record all day yesterday, annoying, so I'll explain. Shot 1 is an actual false alarm using Intrusion method. Then I tried a 'zig-zag' trip wire -you cant see a false alarm here, but it happened a lot yesterday snd you can see green tracking and about to 'alarm (pic 2). So gave up on this method as thought, hey easy fix just remove the zig-zag from the car! So I did that - damn false alarms were going off early part of the night and had to disable the trip wire to get some sleep. Pic 3 shows it's location.....but interesting, as it was pitch black it couldnt have been reflection like it appears to be in shot 2. Remember shot 2 represents many false alarm situations.Intrusion False Alarm.jpgTripwire False Alarm.jpgTripwire False Alarm 2.jpg

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update - I decided to test the zig-zag Tripwire again today, as it's sunny, to try replicate the is. Here is a classic example of a false alarm:

Zig Zag trip wire - False Alarm.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd set the zones only around the vehicle. Anything on it will produce a false trigger when the sun produces a flickering bright spot for any reason. Are you using motion detection in SmartPSS as well? I don't use that so I have no idea how well it may or may not work.

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks again @sebastiantombs for your assistance. I'll try your suggestion...hopefully not further 3am false alarms! I need some sleep occassionally :)

I tried and gave up using motion detection via SmartPSS as the cam was triggered by rain....and in the UK, we get a lot!

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very slightly off topic here, my apols, but do you know what 'Alarm Out' means vs buzzer (check box - bottom) and Alarm (check box - bottom), in the web interface? I'm expecting more false alarms tonight so want to get ready for un-Alarm Out and Buzzer.jpgchecking!