Mixed use sata SSDs for Continuous recording?

gawainxx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What's folk's experience with Mixed used (Write endurance) SSDs been like for recording for ~8 cameras been like?

I have a SFF PC that i'd like to set up for BI but it only supports a 15mm, 5v 2.5" Sata HDD

From a spec standpoint, I think i should be good with a used 1.92TB Mixed use HDD, for my 8 cameras and 30 days retention period?
I'm currently only going through 1.5TB every 30 days, which isn't too intensive and I'd have plenty of overhead for Trim and GC tasks.

Reaction score
Need more info...Are you recording only triggers or are you doing continuous 24/7 recording? Based on the storage you are stating, I would imagine you are only recording triggers. You can miss a lot of action that way.

While most folks will say stay away from SSDs for video recording, there are a few here that state they have had no issues using them. I personally prefer surveillance rated HDDs like the Western Purple HDDs. I have three 10TB drives in my BI server.

There are also folks here that state they use external disk enclosures connected via USB, eSATA, or other connections with no issues. Others have stated that they tried external USB drives and had issues.

gawainxx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried to use an external HDD, but at least with an optiplex 7040 running server 2022 that did not go well, as the HDD controller had a connectivity blip and BI hung as a result.
I'm temporarily using a 1tb consumer grade SSD I had around.

I was previously running BI on an esxi VM but it was really hammering the CPU an couldn't keep up with 4k, forcing me to limit that camera to 2k due to lack of any sort of HW acceleration.

I'm doing continuous sub plus trigger for 5 cameras. (4) @2k (1) @ 4k direct to disk BVR

I've been eyeballing the micron 5200 max and Intel DC S series in the 1.92Gb size which should easily give me a month of retention. They have > 1000 tbw, so assuming I get one with at least 80% health remaining it should easily last over a decade

I tried an enterprise class 2.5" Exos to only find out that the internal SATA port on the 7040 micro lacks 12v.