Mobile internet via Asus router = problem? (remote access) (at least for me)

Mikolino

n3wb
Reaction score
Been reading as guest but cant find any that handles my problem! I´m very competent in the pc hardware system but useless in networking!

System:

Standard laptop with i5 cpu, win 8.1
Generic szinocam ip cameras (4pieces,720p 4mm lens etc.)
Top of the line ASUS 87U router, with usb mobile internet modem.

Problem(several)

1, Even though the Asus router is somewhat powerful, it cant really reach the cameras (tried to move it around the house, but when 3 cams has pretty good signal the 4th one is completely gone, so seem to be stuck with laggy feed) order better antennas for the cams? will it help?

2, Got the iris 4(.1??, licensed of course) on the pc, bought both blu iris on google play (BI and remote BI) but my knowledge in networking is poor, try to set up remote acess but it seems like because I run thru usb mobile internet the ip´s, remot acess ip´s etc, isnt correct!

If I run the wizard, all checkes out green besides when it comes to the "remote access test" The wan and verified ip seems to be correct but the connection is timed out!....

In the Android apps i key in (tried every adresses I can find in pc BI) the ip´s etc. but no connection at all!

I´m stuck :(

Thanks in advance from Sweden :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Been reading as guest but cant find any that handles my problem! I´m very competent in the pc hardware system but useless in networking!

System:

Standard laptop with i5 cpu, win 8.1
Generic szinocam ip cameras (4pieces,720p 4mm lens etc.)
Top of the line ASUS 87U router, with usb mobile internet modem.

Problem(several)

1, Even though the Asus router is somewhat powerful, it cant really reach the cameras (tried to move it around the house, but when 3 cams has pretty good signal the 4th one is completely gone, so seem to be stuck with laggy feed) order better antennas for the cams? will it help?

2, Got the iris 4(.1??, licensed of course) on the pc, bought both blu iris on google play (BI and remote BI) but my knowledge in networking is poor, try to set up remote acess but it seems like because I run thru usb mobile internet the ip´s, remot acess ip´s etc, isnt correct!

If I run the wizard, all checkes out green besides when it comes to the "remote access test" The wan and verified ip seems to be correct but the connection is timed out!....

In the Android apps i key in (tried every adresses I can find in pc BI) the ip´s etc. but no connection at all!

I´m stuck :(

Thanks in advance from Sweden :)
Otherss will be able to help more than me, on not being able to reach 4 th camera, you can buy an access unit or even old router (set as bridge or access point) and hard wire from
Asus and you can inject dc power for access unit, just remember to splitt it off.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_TP-Link&sts=ma&N=4190025437&Ntt=poe+injector
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/885638-REG/TP_Link_TL_POE10R_POWER_OVER_ETHERNET.html

Check to see if your port is open with http://www.canyouseeme.org/. get it to work before trying droid.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
When you get it working point to the Baltic sea, I heard Putin likes to water ski behind subs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't waste more money or time trying to get Wifi to work... Wire it up or try powerline... As far as remote view.. Many cellular providers do not give you a routeable external IP address.. There is nothing you can do... Check with the provider.. Some will allow this for an extra fee.

Sent via Taptalk

Mikolino

n3wb
Reaction score
Otherss will be able to help more than me, on not being able to reach 4 th camera, you can buy an access unit or even old router (set as bridge or access point) and hard wire from
Asus and you can inject dc power for access unit, just remember to splitt it off.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_TP-Link&sts=ma&N=4190025437&Ntt=poe+injector
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/885638-REG/TP_Link_TL_POE10R_POWER_OVER_ETHERNET.html

Check to see if your port is open with http://www.canyouseeme.org/. get it to work before trying droid.
Yes I have som old routers in a box somewhere, but think I will try some new antennas first! seems to be only a couple of metres to get good signal from all cams!

When I use canyouseeme.org neither the port 80 or 81 port is open, how to open it up? (in the asus87U router?)

When you get it working point to the Baltic sea, I heard Putin likes to water ski behind subs.
Yes, will do that! In the 80s when the Russkies were here alot I actually lived right by the costline where the Uboat ran to the bottom and all hell broke loose! :) It was very exiting :)

Don't waste more money or time trying to get Wifi to work... Wire it up or try powerline... As far as remote view.. Many cellular providers do not give you a routeable external IP address.. There is nothing you can do... Check with the provider.. Some will allow this for an extra fee.

Sent via Taptalk
Well, just ordered 4 antennas for 10 bucks (+9bi) will give it a try! Cant wire it up, there´s no way it can be done other than break the house alot:( and powerline needs direct outlets, which is nearly impossible at the cam locations! (I got ip cams for a reason)

I don´t understand how you mean by the cellullar provider don´t give me a routable adress? The usb modem is in a wan port... its just an connection?

Thanks for your time :)

In the bible it rains for 40 days and 40 nights. They call it disaster. In Sweden we call it summer. :)

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
You have to get can you see me to see port 81,

Because of your wiring situation and If antennas don't work you might try a range extender, I don't care for them but they can work. I used an AMP model one time and got it to work very reliable with a vga camera in a garage.

BTW if you know computers pick up a networking intro book, and start dabbling and learning. it'll be fun