Mobo/CPU suggestions for Custom Blue Iris Server

6010fd12

n3wb
Reaction score
Before someone mentions it YES I have read the wiki on this topic but I have some additional questions. I've tried asking this question on multiple forums(including LTT) but I have not received an answer so I'm hoping someone could help me out here.

I have a "server" that has already been built that I assumed would be able to handle blue iris. This was before I knew that I needed a 6th gen cpu for H.265 encoding. Luckily the mobo, cpu and ram were donated to me from a friends previous build and I just built the system around that (the gpu was an old one I had lying around). Now here comes my problem, I have already read the wiki and as helpful as it is I want to use this "server" as more than just something to run Blue Iris.

I plan to use this server to run, Blue Iris (looking around a combination of 16 cameras with a mix of both 8MP and 2MP for day and night time surveillance), Home Assistant(I might offload this load to Home Assistant Yellow when it comes out), Plex(Multiple 4k streams), and a local storage/backup server. The cpu and ram requirements I could only imagine would be way higher than just running Blue Iris by itself. Which begs the question; With my current setup what are some solid CPU, MOBO and Ram recommendations that would handle my current needs?

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Out of all the items you list to run on your server, only one appears to be of a security concern. So if those cameras are monitoring for nefarious behavior (versus pets, etc) you may want to consider keeping BI on its own server. This ensures you won’t have conflicts (CPU bottleneck) or issues (image stuttering/resource limitations) when trying to record any security events. Just a suggestion, as I don’t know what your intention is for what the cameras will be trying to catch.

My thoughts above are just general considerations for setting up a security camera system. I think such sentiment has been expressed elswhere on this forum.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am running an i7-6700 with 16 GB of ram and over a dozen cameras, DeepStack, ALPR on two cameras. I run around 20% CPU, and it doesn't really need more than 8 GB. I have no idea about requirements of the other programs you plan on running. Virtually anyone who can recommend a still available CPU and MOBO would be recommending way more than is needed to run BI. So it turns into kind of a guessing game, or a pretty nice machine for BI. Have you checked out @CCTVCam 's build? Blue Iris PC Build

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let me clear up a rumor....

You do not need a 6th gen or newer to run H.265.

H.265 will run on older processors.

What you cannot do with an older processor is use Hardware Acceleration for H.265, but with the substream option, Hardware Acceleration is not needed.

Further, most of us have found that H264 results in better quality than H265 and many of us don't see the storage savings advertised either.

But according to your link, you have a GTX1660 Graphics card, so you could use H265 and Hardware Acceleration on that if you wanted to...

Last edited:
Reaction score