Modification - SD49225T-HN Add External Microphone Power

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Advance Modification: Dahua SD49225T-HN Adding External Microphone Power

Advance Modification Disclaimer - I successfully performed this modification, but this should only be undertaken with the understanding that you may damage your camera permanently. Only those who are able to cleanly solder and have an understanding of electronic component work should even consider doing this mod. You are solely responsible for any damages caused by doing this modification.

This modification provides 12 volt microphone power out of what is normally just the DC 12 volt input jack. It does so by tapping into the POE 12 volt supply with a 480 ohm resistor and feeding that to the DC input +12 lead. A 100 mfd capacitor filters noise in the supplied power. Only a very small current draw is allowed through the resistor (about 25 ma even if short circuited, but it readily powers a Micro seven external microphone. I detected no hum from the audio input when the microphone is thus powered.

The modification also allows the DC input to be used as a DC input. However, this mod would only be useful if one wanted to let the camera's POE+ supply to power an external mic.

Materials required:

1 - 480 ohm 1/8 watt resistor (alt 1/4 watt is also OK)
1 - 100 mfd 16 volt electrolytic capacitor. (Spec not critical. 100-200 mfd, 16 to 32 volts OK)

Remove screws holding the top dome cover in place. Remove top cover and disconnect cable connectors. The two connectors each have a squeeze release latch.

Look out for the white heat transfer pad. You MUST protect that from getting damaged or contaminated. Also, it MUST be put back in position during reassembly to heatsink the POE board.
1 remove dome top cover.jpg

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The POE board has two connectors. J7 is the one that connects the DC input cable. Unfortunately, the points we need to tap into are most readily accessed on the back side of the POE board.

2 poe board connectors.jpg

Last edited:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Remove the three screws securing the POE board. Two cable connectors must be gently pried free. Never pull on the connectors by the wires. Only pull on the connector bodies. Be patient. A sharp spudger tool is helpful if you have big fingers.
3 remove POE board.jpg

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are three connection points of interests.
12v+ from POE supply
DC input 12 volt+ lead
DC input power gnd lead

We're going to connect....

(12v+ from POE supply)<---- resistor---->(DC input 12 volt+)<---- capacitor ---->(DC input power GND)

Your electrolytic capacitor is probably polarized. Its negative lead must go to the (DC input power GND)
Hooking in the capacitor backwards would be very bad.
4 poe connection points.jpg

Last edited:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
5 tack solder components.jpg You can see I have insulated the resistor's leads with heat shrink tubing.
Also the capacitor must be angled so it clears the center of the camera casing.
Double check for shorts!!!!!

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Put it all back together. Don't forget the heat transfer pad. Ensure the dome cover goes back on so its little flat portion mates with the heat transfer pad.

Once done, your camera should now have microphone 12v OUT from its DC input jack. You'll probably need a sex adapter, but POE+ power now can supply your external microphone
6 final connections.jpg

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Put it all back together. Don't forget the heat transfer pad. Ensure the dome cover goes back on so its little flat portion mates with the heat transfer pad.

Once done, your camera should now have microphone 12v OUT from its DC input jack. You'll probably need a sex adapter, but POE+ power now can supply your external microphone
View attachment 32533
Fantasitc job!

Kevin Penney

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I never understood why there was no 12 volt pigtail added for convenience of adding an external microphone. Just seems like a no brainer that there is a line level audio input plug, but no means to power a mic other than using a second power source. I just makes no sense.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk