Moisture in Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS

Reaction score
Hi all,

I do have the problem that there is moisture in my Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS which makes it hard for me to have a clear picture.
Is there a way to solve this?
Should I open the camera?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Screenshot_20191230-102932_gDMSS_Plus.png

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will need to take it down, open it up in a dry (low humidity) environment and get it dried out. There should be a packet or two of desiccant inside and they may need to be replaced. Take a good look at the rubber seal and make sure it was seated properly. A little bit of petroleum jelly on the gasket will help seal it.

Squeeker

n3wb
Reaction score
I had this problem on one camera that would get rain directly on the can. It has the desiccants and the rubber seal but fogged anyway. Ultimately I ran a ring of electrical tape around the two halves of the housing and that has fixed it. Luckily I had white electrical tape so you don't even notice it.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello bruce the boss, unfortunately the camera will have to undergo surgery to fix the issue.

It'll need the guts removing and a good look over to see exactly where Water has entered the camera and it will also need the optics to be cleaned as well (a basic clean will make images more clear).

Replacement Silica gel packs will be needed as they'll have absorbed as much water as they're able.

Not too sure on the suitability of petroleum jelly with the gasket, probably best to find a suitable silicone safe grease or at worst you may need to use a silicone sealant (that's if you've got a bad leaking issue that really needs to be fixed).

And I forgot to mention that if you have access to an Air Dryer it would really help to remove moisture quickly without damaging the housing, optics, cabling and electronics. As they can achieve a constant 40°C.

Hope that you get it sorted out though and good luck.

Reaction score
Ok thanks all for the tips and I took the camera down (which was easier I thought :) ).
It's drying now and we will see the end of the week.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And don't forget to not overtighten the screws when you put it back together bruce the boss, nice and snug is all you'll need.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make certain the cable entrance to the cam is sealed as well. Maybe a dab of silicone.
When getting a new camera, always check all screws to make sure they are snug, I've had some that the screws could easily be turned another 2-3 rounds.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, if you notice that rain droplets are falling directly onto the camera itself, you might want to consider adding an "umbrella" to the camera

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Recently had to do this for a IPC-HFW5231E-Z12. Take part was easy once I learned the THIN plastic surround at the front peals off.

Two hours at 158F in my 3D filament dryer (a repurposed food dehydrator) got the camera thoroughly dried.
New silica packs and a bit of silicone dive grease on the gaskets later, she was back in action.

BTW 158F metal housings are pretty hot for bare hands. Be careful taking back out of dehydrator if you use one to dry a camera.

Last edited:

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A company called Haenim do UV sterilizers with a drying function, very expensive but also very useful.

The Haenim HN-04 is the latest version with Bluetooth so that you can know exactly how long is left in a cycle.